Made it Through Ida!

madtex1967

Just a quick note that we made it through the storm. No damage to the house. But our 80+ yr old pecan tree took a beating. Several limbs in the street and neighbors driveway.

Now dealing with no electricity and no idea when it will be restored. Luckily we have a generator and access to gas to keep it running. But it doesn't power the AC. So you all know with our humidity . . . Been spending time working from home on my work laptop (glad I bought it home). And spending time on the front porch, where it is so much cooler than inside the house. Looks like I will be catching up on reading and work on the First Lady.

It could have been much worse. So very thankful. All my family and friends came out unscathed as well.

Matt

• Like 2

First of all, we have been thinking about you and hoping you didn't have wind damage.  We had lost a handful of shingles to Sandy, easily replaced, but we saw on the news how Ida just ripped roofs off of buildings like they were paper!  Do you have a ceiling fan on your porch and will your generator run that?  We have a generator we ran three times a day to keep the food in the fridge and freezer from spoiling when we lost power from Sandy for ten days and from Zeta for three, and I set up our one-burner camp stove on our porch to boil water for our freeze-dried camping meals.  The humidity is a bear!  I fell back on my childhood in West Palm Beach without a/c and kept a wet washcloth on my head or neck all day.

18 hours ago, havanaholly said:

First of all, we have been thinking about you and hoping you didn't have wind damage.  We had lost a handful of shingles to Sandy, easily replaced, but we saw on the news how Ida just ripped roofs off of buildings like they were paper!  Do you have a ceiling fan on your porch and will your generator run that?  We have a generator we ran three times a day to keep the food in the fridge and freezer from spoiling when we lost power from Sandy for ten days and from Zeta for three, and I set up our one-burner camp stove on our porch to boil water for our freeze-dried camping meals.  The humidity is a bear!  I fell back on my childhood in West Palm Beach without a/c and kept a wet washcloth on my head or neck all day.

We were very lucky.  No wind damage at all.  Our 150 yr old house strong.  Not  a creak or a groan the whole time.  And let me tell you it was a Nasty, Nasty Storm.  The generator is running the refrigerator and freezer, fans, and occasional TV.  I am working from home, so it is keeping my laptop powered up.  I just finished up my work for the day (not much to do as normal with half our facilities closed). We have gas cooktop and water and sewerage service, so we can cook and take showers, etc.

I will be catching up on my reading and hopefully working on the First Lady!

Matt, so glad to hear you are fairing relatively well. Have not been able to reach our 92-year-old aunt who lives on N. Villere or her son. Am hoping he got her someplace with AC.