Washington: removing roof details

Tinyroomartist

Hi! I am thinking of removing the curved gingerbread style details from the roof of one of the Washingtons I am working on. I believe that Holly and others have done this with good success. The result would be a geometrical roof with no curves.

What tool(s) did you use to accomplish this and achieve proper angles so the roof can be reglued onto the house? I have a Dremel but am scared to put a power tool near a completed house from 1975. I am concerned about splintering the wood. I don't have a hand saw but can get one if I know what type I would need. The wood seems too thick for an X acto knife. Is there an Xacto blade which would do the job?

IMG_3343 (1).jpeg

Maybe the 1.0 is different. The curved detail on the front of the house slots into the roof, holding it on. I think I could just as easily glue the roof on and use a roof cap at the top instead of the stick that goes through the popsicle stick looking detail, one of which is missing anyway. The curve is looks like part of the house front on the house I have, not a detail one would add as a separate piece (it works that way on the back of the house, though.) All this is quite interesting! Am I misunderstanding and what I think is "one piece" is actually two pieces? This is the disadvantage of not having built a Washington kit! I am almost ready to buy a 2.0 and build it after working on these two!

IMG_3462 2.jpeg

Some of the kits I've built had that sort of roof attachment.  I used my little hobby saw to cut it off.  You can then fill it with wood putty, spackle or joint compound and sand it smooth when it's completely dry, or just cover it with whatever roof treatment you want to use.

• Like 1