Our Adbobe Dollhouse

On September 13, 2020 I made my initial post outlining our plans to build an Adobe dollhouse and looking for furniture:

Initial post with our plans

At that time, we were looking for furniture and furnishings, which we now have.

About 2 months later, my friend who would be building this for us, gave us a cardboard mockup of it - and I uploaded pictures to the gallery of it. Today, we tore it apart and recycled the cardboard. Back in February, I posted gallery pictures of the slow but steady progress of the first floor construction. I called that Phase 3.

Yesterday, I posted more pictures - Phase 4 - the nearly complete first floor. We hope to have everything finished by the end of October including second floor and roof. The dollhouse is 37" wide and 20" deep. I will start wiring the completed circuits to a system which will allow us to automatically light rooms in a timed sequence and our architect and builder (my friend) will, after his vacation, will continue with the second floor.

We're pretty proud of what we have gotten so far so I encourage people to check out the gallery:

Adobe Dollhouse Gallery

particularly the Phase 4 pictures.

I'll continue to update this thread as work gets done.

Edited by Husband of Adobe Dollhouse
clarity

Everyone, I can't take credit. My friend is a master miniature craftsman both in making dollhouse furniture (which I can't afford with pieces that sold for up to $1000 and more) and model railroad buildings. He makes furniture that exactly duplicates real pieces including miniature dado work at the back of the drawers. He's in his 80s and has done this all his life.

To give you an example, the tiles would be uneven on the bottom because of the way they are made so each one is individually filed smooth. I know because I did 300 of them, one at a time. He had already done 600 or so himself. I think he bought about 1000 of them.

After priming the outer walls, he simulated the rough stucco feel by mixing in an extremely fine sand with the final coat of paint. And the lintels above all the windows are embedded wood as are the frames around the door.

He actually hand carved the kiva fireplace out of a solid block of wood to give it a more realistic shape. A similar one will be upstairs in the Master Bedroom which will span the kitchen and patio. The kitchen cabinets are hand made of wood but he didn't make the door open.

The staircase will be 3 pieces. The bottom will be removable (note the to-be-removed protective wood on the tops of the stairs so he can exactly line up the banisters). This is so furniture can be move in and out more easily. The middle piece is attached to the wall and the top stairs will mesh and be attached to the second floor. Note that the viga/ceiling support beams in the living room and patio have decorative corners attached - all custom made.

The real wood floor in the living room and the two upstairs rooms have randomly cut pieces to make them more realistic. The bath upstairs will be tiled like the kitchen, porch and patio.

Note the front porch has a working outlet also.

And to think she was originally planning to buy an off-the-shelf one-room house!

We have to pay for all the materials except where he was able to use scraps he already had. His labor is virtually free.