Looking for any info

RooRoo

Help Identify

Looking for any information on this doll house I have acquired. It is a large doll house

48" X 28" & 36" Tall.

I do not know if it was a kit or custom-made. 
it opens in the front to access the doll house. To access the attic you have to lift the back side of dollhouses roof.

Thank you for any help on identifying this dollhouse.

32B1C355-F706-4184-9944-A1B58615C7B4.jpeg.8a496c437ee4dd5eaf7e7f368ea7273d.jpeg

This house is made in a few forms. They are available ready made but not sure of the brand name used, and I believe they are a bit under scale. But as far as I am aware, this is where it originated:

https://www.houseworksltd.com/pdf/1001-Dollhouse-Plan-Book.pdf

Others here might know more than me.

• Thanks 1

It's the Houseworks Front Opening Victorian. It was in the plan book first, and then RGT offered it as a kit in half scale. There's a similar house available pre-built in the UK that's 1:16, that might be what you're thinking of @shannonc60.

This one has had porches added to the sides that weren't standard. Can't tell from the picture if it's the kit version or built from the plans.

3 hours ago, RooRoo said:

I do not know if it was a kit or custom-made. 
it opens in the front to access the doll house. To access the attic you have to lift the back side of dollhouses roof.

In the kit, the attic roof would be hinged on the front. So that might be a clue that it's scratch built. Can you post a pic of the inside?

Edited by fov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am starting to think it was built somewhat from the plans. Just a bit bigger and a few changes made. The layout of the inside looks the same except for a few changes and the attic was switched to the back rather than the front. And the porches were added. But all in all to me looks like the link Shannonc60 posted is my house but someone made extra changes to it.

thank you Shannonc60 and Fov for your help. I truly didn’t think I would find anything on this house. You two are awesome.

I'm pretty sure yours was built from plans. In the kit version the porch is attached to the base of the house and the front wall swings out over it, versus in yours where the porch is part of the wall that swings. The pictures in this thread might help you see what I mean:

(EDIT: Actually I take it back, I forgot this kit was redesigned. In the original version of the kit, the porch might have been part of the swinging wall. It is in the half scale version.)

Is your house plywood or MDF? The newer version of this kit was MDF but the older one was smooth plywood. If you can turn the house over and see the unfinished underside of the first floor that might give you a clue. A plywood kit would have come with cabinet grade plywood, so if it's not that nice/smooth then you'll know it's a scratch build. When unfinished ones turn up on Craigslist and eBay, I can always tell if it's the scratch built version because the plywood has a lot of knots and grain in it.

The underneath of the dollhouse is not smooth. The house is very heavy so I had my son help me slide it out a bit. It is not smooth at all.and does not have a finished look.

Edited by RooRoo