Anyone traveling now that we can??

Kells

I haven't had a proper vacation in over two years! April 2019 was the last one. I'm getting cabin fever. October 2019 was supposed to be New Orleans. Hello, Hurricane Olga. April 2020 was to be Lisbon and Porto. Pandemic say NOPE.

So I am beyond excited that we've extended our October vacation plans. It was originally to be one week each in Lisbon and Malta. Praying things work out this time. These little day trips into the mountains just ain't cutting it for me. Do any of you have plans? Please share!

Here are our plans, and I'm embedding links to some pretty travel vids for each. It's cramming a lot in, I know, but I'm making up for lost time! I can't wait.

We're doing six days in Lisbon

Four days in Madeira

Six days in Seville

And finally, six days in Malta

We did a shake-down road trip in early May, planning on two weeks and actually getting almost ten days (storm forecast cut it short).  We went to Natchez, MS,stopping in McComb on the way to spend a day at their railroad museum, only to find it had burned down a few days earlier.  The motel we'd picked for Natchez turned out to be a disappointment, and the town was mostly still closed down, so we toured the town and found a pasta restaurant open that turned out to be a real jewel, and the  we toured the Grand Natchez Indian Village before getting on the Natchez Trace and driving the part we'd missed (due to post-storm flooding the drive down from Nashville, TN, a few years before).  We spent a few days in Jackson and a few more in Meridian, going up to Indianola one day and spent it at the BB King Museum and Heritage Center.

From there we went to Tuscaloosa for three days and we were set to go spend the rest of our two weeks in Birmingham when the weather forecast had us head for home.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

@havanahollyI love road trips and have wanted to do the Natchez Trace for a long time. Hopefully one of these days. Natchez itself looks so beautiful!

@KathieBI don't blame you. Covid is a scary thing. Been there, done that, as they say. Best to stay safe. Vaccination rates continue to go up so let's hope it becomes a thing of the past sooner rather than later.

On 7/23/2021 at 5:46 PM, KathieB said:

I'm still not comfortable venturing as far athe grocery store. I don't see any adventures farther afield in my near future.

I am a bit like that..I am waiting for the UK to be safe.either I may go there with a trip over to Holland thrown in or my UK niece  may come here. Either way it is rather up to the UK for me. As far as I know the Canada /US border is still closed so that stops me going that way too. I still have this gnawing feeling that it will never be over. It will be out there somewhere, just biding it's time while mutating thren it will pop back up somewhere and we could go all oiver again if the vaccines don't cover us.. OOh sorry to sound so pessimistic, I just can;t get the idea out of my head. I think f I was younger I could but months get very precious after one gets older..ooh stop it Jeannine and give yourslekf a virtual spanking..

• 3 months later...

No major trips since our visit to the Philippines in June of 2019.  It was an amazing trip.  We mostly stayed at my FIL's summer condo overlooking the Taal volcano about 6 months before it erupted.  I took pics of houses and other sights while we were there.  Lots of inspiration for a future mini build.  We even took home a little house (no interior) my wife's aunt had in her city house in Manila.  She has even more mini houses in her county home to the north.

We did go to a couple of secluded beaches here in Florida in May of 2020 and March 2021.  We also rented a boat to go fishing in the gulf of Mexico in July 2020.  Except for our two youngest kids, we're all fully vaccinated, but it looks like that was a temporary fix.  It's still bad here in Florida.  We'll never know how bad since the governor is doing everything to hide the numbers, including arresting people who try to tell the truth.  I know that the hospital my wife works at is still over-run with Covid cases.

We got our booster shots two weeks ago and spent last week in a house in La Grange, GA, with our middle son, his wife and their fur baby.  It was a lovely place to be sorry in, even with the rainy day that ushered in the cold weather.  We took two days to come home so we could take the youngest to the former Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus, GA; it's now the National Civil War Naval Museum.  We spent the night at the lodge in Lake Point State Park just north of Eufala, AL, and ate supper at our favorite Eufala restaurant.  From there it's a straight shot down to the interstate in N FL and home.