A dollhouse for the 90's Moomin-figures

Johanne

Hello!

I am planning to build a to-size Moomin-house for the (now vintage) Moomin-figures that were made in the 90's. I will be building the house to fit the figures' size, but when it comes to furniture I would prefer to buy most ready-made when suitable and possible. What I haven't been able to settle on yet is what scale these figures are and more importantly what scale I should be buying the furniture in.

The Moomin-figures tend to be around 5 cm tall (2"). By comparison I gather that the 1:12 scale Sylvanian Families dolls tend to be around 7-7.5cm tall (2.7-2.9"). The 1:16 scale Lundby adult dolls tend to be 11 cm tall (4.3"). The Sylvanians seem in other words to be the closest to size.

What I would very much like to accomplish is a spacious dollhouse for the Moomins since the commercial version is so cramped and sterile. I hope to use as many natural materials as possible, and even to fit in some lamps. This might become the most challenging part. My ambitions for the shell of the house are quite big too as I hope to make the exterior wall like two tambour doors.

Any ideas or advice will be highly appreciated. This will be my first project building a miniature from the very beginning.

mii.jpg

mi.jpg

Sylvanians are smaller than 1:12 scale. In 1:12 scale, 1 inch equals 1 foot, so your 2-inch tall figures would only be 2 feet tall. In 1:24 scale, 1 inch equals 2 feet, so your 2-inch figures would be 4 feet tall. I suggest you get some 1:24 furniture and put the figures next to it to see if it looks right.

They might be more like 1:36 scale, which would be 1 inch equals 3 feet. That's not really a scale that exists in dollhouses, but I do see this on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/776883810/136-scale-miniature-dollhouse-kit-lapin

The owner of Red Cottage Miniatures @shannonc60is a member here, maybe she can chime in on the size of the Veronique Lux figures she created the 1:36 house for.

• Like 1

KathieB used Sylvanian frogs on her houseboat that she rescaled to 1:24.  Since you're building to fit the scale of your figures, you could also make their furniture to size; it's not all that difficult.  See if your local library has or can get you any dollhouse DIY books by Patricia King to give you ideas.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

KathieB used Sylvanian frogs on her houseboat that she rescaled to 1:24. 

True. Having them look right with 1:24 scale furnishings meant keeping them away from the furniture! Mom is outside checking the mailbox. Dad is standing on the upper deck, looking down at teenage son, who is fishing from the main deck. The baby is small enough that she looks fine in her crib in the nursery. 

As a whole, the houseboat reads as a comfortable dwelling for the frogs. Scale is a slippery commodity. With careful placement of inhabitants and furnishings, it can look great. Remember the mantra: It is all smoke and mirrors.  If it looks right, it is right! 

I don't know if this'll help you at all, but I once built a home for a Sylvan figure. I built most of the furniture, but was able to use a 1:12 coffee table as a dining table, and after I cut down the legs of a couple kitchen chairs from the dollar store, they were an acceptable size. The hanging cabinet is the top half of a Michael's hutch, the kettle and copper pot were 1" scale. The tea set was just something I found in some gift shop, not specific to dollhouses. 

For your figures I think you'll find that a lot of 1:24 furniture will look really tiny, especially the chairs, because your people look on the chunky side. I've done a couple other houses scaled to non dollhouse figures, and it can get tricky.

44.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, fov said:

Sylvanians are smaller than 1:12 scale. In 1:12 scale, 1 inch equals 1 foot, so your 2-inch tall figures would only be 2 feet tall. In 1:24 scale, 1 inch equals 2 feet, so your 2-inch figures would be 4 feet tall. I suggest you get some 1:24 furniture and put the figures next to it to see if it looks right.

They might be more like 1:36 scale, which would be 1 inch equals 3 feet. That's not really a scale that exists in dollhouses, but I do see this on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/776883810/136-scale-miniature-dollhouse-kit-lapin

The owner of Red Cottage Miniatures @shannonc60is a member here, maybe she can chime in on the size of the Veronique Lux figures she created the 1:36 house for.

Sorry Emily, didn’t see this. I think that the 1:36 scale might be OK. I’ll have to remember to measure my tiny dolls and Veronique Lux animals for height and post here again. Like Syvanian families, it may be the chunkiness of the furniture tht looks odd because the Moomins are chunky. The 1:36 kits I have so far are all listed here:

https://www.redcottageminiatures.com/shop-1?category=1%3A36+scale+kits

Sylvanian Families/Calico Critters are 3/4” scale. It falls between 1/12 and 1/24. I use vintage 3/4 “ scale furniture and the plastic Sylvanian Familes and Calico Critters furniture. I tried using a 1/24 scale house, but it was a bit too small. I use a 1/12 house, which is a bit bigger, but more room is better than a too small room.