First dollhouse construction.

Lynda1

Hi all, I am new to the blog and live in Glen Allen, VA (outside Richmond).  I'm starting construction of my first dollhouse which is a little intimidating.  I'm trying to figure out the best method to choose and apply method.  Is this the correct forum to ask this question?  I'm sure this will be the first of many questions I will have as I proceed.  I appreciate any and all suggestions/hints/advice.  Thanks so much!

Welcome to the little family, Lynda.  Take some time to read the different subforums to get a "feel" for their respective contents.  If your question would still receive more attention in a forum other than the one you post in, one of our moderators will move it to a more appropriate place.  Which house are you building?  That first build is always intimidating; even when I have already built a house or two the sight of that open box with all those sheets of plywood still gives me collywobbles.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, Holly.  I'm also new to blogs so please bear with me.  I appreciate your letting me know that the moderators will help guide my questions appropriately.

I am building the Beacon Hill house made by Greenleaf.  Not that I want anyone to be intimidated when they start to build a house, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.  

I'm trying to figure out if I should wallpaper the pieces of wood before I put the house together or after it's together.  The problem with putting the wallpaper up before the house is constructed is that I don't yet have a feel yet for how I am going to decorate each room or the color scheme.  However, it's difficult enough to wallpaper a room in a regular house, let alone in a miniature house, so I'm not sure what you all think about when to wallpaper.  Also, I could use advice on where you all find wallpaper as I haven't found much of a selection online so far.

Thanks again so much for welcoming me!

1 hour ago, Lynda1 said:

...I am building the Beacon Hill house made by Greenleaf.  Not that I want anyone to be intimidated when they start to build a house, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.  

I'm trying to figure out if I should wallpaper the pieces of wood before I put the house together or after it's together.  The problem with putting the wallpaper up before the house is constructed is that I don't yet have a feel yet for how I am going to decorate each room or the color scheme.  However, it's difficult enough to wallpaper a room in a regular house, let alone in a miniature house, so I'm not sure what you all think about when to wallpaper.  Also, I could use advice on where you all find wallpaper as I haven't found much of a selection online so far.

Thanks again so much for welcoming me!

Invest in a couple of rolls of blue painter's tape or beige masking tape and put the house together using strips of tape before you glue anything (we call this dry-fitting the house) so you can shave or sand any tabs and slots for a more perfect fit, and to see how the house goes together.  Sometimes the directions don't make a whole lot of sense, so dry fitting the house first can save a lot of frustrations later on.  I use a pencil to mark where house parts will fit together to be glued, because whether I prime walls or stain floors I will want to glue bare wood to bare wood.  Also, if your instructions say to use hot glue, DON'T!!!  Any good carpenter's wood glue (like Titebond or Probond) will do a better job; I once watched a hot-glue built Greenleaf Pierce fall apart in  the window of a real estate firm in Sylvester,GA.  I use a flat white interior latex house paint to prime the walls so the chemicals that naturally occur in wood won't leach out over time and discolor the wallpaper (or paint).

The sheets of scrapbook paper are usually large enough to cover dollhouse walls and quite often come in prints small enough to be in scale:

bedroom.JPG

I have also found small rolls of border paper in small enough designs to use:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG the finished interior:  the kitchen

Hello Lynda,

Like @havanahollysaid previously, a dry fit will answer so many of the "what if" questions you have swirling around .

There is more than one way to build a house, and I do it a little different each time. As far as wall paper goes, I think the stairways in the Beacon hill will be the most challenging. Some people wallpaper before assembly and others after.

Do the dry fit, and go from there. You can also do a combination of both.

~~~Good luck~~~ and don't get frustrated.

Hi Lynda, scrapbook paper can come in books or sold in individual sheets at places like Hobby Lobby or Jo-Anns. Also, you can print your own. I'm considering using fabric as wall covering for a room in my next build. 

I decorated all my pieces before assembly on the Pierce. So what holly said about tracing where pieces touch and join is real important if you use that method. I found a couple places where I made mistakes....

But I think when you wallpaper really depends on the house and your ability to get your hands in there. There are all kind of tips on you tube if you search dollhouse wallpaper on how to do it, when you get there! Sometimes i think picking out what colors you will use to decorate is the most agonizing!

1 minute ago, Medieval said:

Sometimes i think picking out what colors you will use to decorate is the most agonizing!

This used to drive me nuts. Then I would forget what that color was when it came to painting or choosing wallpaper. Now I collect the color chip cards from a paint store and arrange them in the rooms until I find a pleasing combination. Then I write the name of the room on the card to help me keep track. 

2 hours ago, Medieval said:

Kathie, I also write the purpose on the paint jars. Like "wainscot" or "cement" cause I would forget what the colors were for!

I also write the name of the room on the back of the wallpaper. 

Welcome to the forum, Lynda! I am going to move this thread into General Mini Talk. Great tips here, we wouldn't want others to miss them!

Writing the name of the room on the back of the paint chip is a great idea. I try to always include the name of the paint in my posts when I blog about what I'm working on, so I can look back and find it later.

I'll add one thing that I've said before, but I'll say it again: Sign Your Work. Others on that thread added handy thoughts about saving paint colors, sharing memories of the house, who it was built for, what inspired it, the name of the manufacturer, etc. Sable suggested taping an envelope to the bottom of the house, which I think is a great idea. You could put the paint colors and even the original instructions into that. Oh, how many times I've wished I had those!

Edited by Kells
  • Like 1