Stair trouble, again

amyole

Background:

Okay, stairs are not my forte. I love how they look when finished, but prefer to eliminate them when possible. Lately, I have a new stair-avoidance with my houses, and have stopped working on a house for a while when I get to the stairs part.

My problem:

DH/Santa gifted me with the RGT Light house kit. I love it! Um, stairs... Then, DH helped me assemble it (yes, I dry fit it & did not notice this). While the stair holes line up correctly, they are on the opposite side of the house they should be (stairs turn on a landing and, being made out of mdf, are milled to fit in one direction) :oops:. I cannot take the house apart to fix this, so I am trying to figure out how to make my own stairs. If you have any ideas, please share. 

This is adding to my stair issues.

Post-It notes or other small bits of paper taped/ glued together to make a pattern of the stair's stringers and make a mock-up in cardboard that you can use later for a pattern to make new stringers in thin plywood.  Tongue blades cut down for treads & risers.  Do they hug a wall, or are they "out there"?

Holly, they hug the wall and turn on a landing. The turn is what has me stymied because the slant is geared to the wrong side. I have considered doing ladder-type stairs (they'd be straighter, no need to turn and take up less space for furnishings), but prefer them to be more "stair" like.

BTW: I am keeping this house as it was a gift and not giving it away.

The slanted walls in RGT's lighthouse would, I think, make stairs difficult to create from scratch. Personally, I have no problem leaving stairs out of houses with too little floor space. I already blocked the stairwell opening in a little Craftsman cottage I'm doing. The staircase took up 3" of a small 12" wide living room! Good riddance.

I also usually hate ladder-type stairs (that's just me) unless they're going up to an attic. HOWEVER, they look right at home in a lighthouse. They have that steep "boat feel", if that makes any sense. To me, they look rather nautical, and would be perfect in a lighthouse. Maybe try "rope" railing with them? I've seen that done - maybe even in a gallery here - when the rope was run through eyelets screwed into the wall.

Also, try searching right here to see what others have done. Here is a pic from PapaJKK's lighthouse. I love what he did with these ladder stairs. Just beautiful!

Those ladder stairs look great with the banisters! I think that's a narrow staircase by Alessio? I used the half scale version leading up to a loft bed in one of my houses and I love how compact they are.

Amy, have you considered folding stairs? That might look okay in a lighthouse, and then you have the benefit of having stairs without having them take up space in the room unless they're pulled down.