Greetings from sunny Minnesota

Hello all.  A few years ago my parents cleaned out their place and passed along my unbuilt 1/2" scale kit house from childhood, which reawakened my interest in the hobby.  Half scale is my jam but I have a small collection of inch-scale dolls that I'm rehabbing a inch-scale house for.  I have a ton of questions about techniques and preferences so you'll probably hear a lot from me!
I'm attaching 2 shots of the Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage I've been rehabbing (RGT, half scale).  I added a window on one side and a chimney/fireplace on the other.  It's still a work in progress.

Cottage1s.jpg

Cottage2s.jpg

• Like 1

The chimney is indeed egg carton!  And the slate roof is homebrew as well--plaster over cardboard, cut and painted.  It needs a bit of touch-up (and then sealing, I think) but I'm really happy with how it turned out. 
I'm finding the pre-grooved floorboards bug me--I'd like to fill in the seams with something (like I've seen IRL) and I might scratch some breaks and details into the board.  Likewise the clapboards seem too big for vintage wooden clapboard in half scale, and I'm debating adding rows in between the existing rows sometime.  If anyone has ideas for floorboard "grout," I'm all ears!

On 7/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, BellaAbzug said:

If anyone has ideas for floorboard "grout," I'm all ears

You can buy thin (1/32") plywood and cover the floor. The start fresh

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Products-Birch-Plywood-24-Inch/dp/B000BQWZFQ

• Like 1

Welcome Abby! Your Lightkeeper's Cottage looks great.  Holly has often talked about filling imperfections with a mix of sawdust and glue. That could be stained/colored to match. That's an awful lot of grooves to fill though! If it were mine and it really bothered me I'd cover it with a sheet of random board flooring. 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BellaAbzug said:

I have a sheet of that but have had a hell of a time cutting straight strips, much less of consistent widths.

No need to cut individual strips. You can mark the separations between boards with the back of a utility knife and a metal ruler. Color them with a fine tip marker or stain the floor and leave stain in the grooves. Both methods "read" well.  (Remember: smoke and mirrors. In miniature we are striving for the appearance of realism.)

23 hours ago, FurMama said:

Welcome Abby! Your Lightkeeper's Cottage looks great.  Holly has often talked about filling imperfections with a mix of sawdust and glue. That could be stained/colored to match. That's an awful lot of grooves to fill though! If it were mine and it really bothered me I'd cover it with a sheet of random board flooring. 🤣

Yeah I'm not looking to mask them away so much as chase the depth and texture of real old floorboards, which tend to have caked-up varnish (or dust? or both) filling the gaps between boards.  I might try scraping in a mix of sealer and stain and wiping it away from the surface.

17 hours ago, KathieB said:

No need to cut individual strips. You can mark the separations between boards with the back of a utility knife and a metal ruler. Color them with a fine tip marker or stain the floor and leave stain in the grooves. Both methods "read" well.  (Remember: smoke and mirrors. In miniature we are striving for the appearance of realism.)

There are so many applications that call for strips of wood (siding, molding, furniture, etc.) that I really wish I could cut my own.  No doubt there's a $300 hobby tool for that somewhere 😉