Two Dumb Questions

Billie R.

1.  What is the name of that sticky tacky gummy stuff used to stick things down, up, around??? I need to order some.

2. If I connect a flickering fireplace to my electrical will it make the whole works pulse like my old tape wired house?? This time I'm hard wiring using a power strip.

Many Thanks and I hope I don't annoy anyone asking these dumb questions HERE!!!

There's museum wax, which I don't care for, though others like it. I usually prefer Glue Dots, which are small clear silicone type discs, or Scotch Adhesive Putty. Mine is white, but I know I've used some pink, don't know if it was by Scotch or some other company.

Can't help with the electrical question, haven't fooled with wiring much.

41 minutes ago, Billie R. said:

1.  What is the name of that sticky tacky gummy stuff used to stick things down, up, around??? I need to order some.

2. If I connect a flickering fireplace to my electrical will it make the whole works pulse like my old tape wired house?? This time I'm hard wiring using a power strip.

I use museum wax to hold small accessories in place. Apply a small dab with a toothpick and use the absolute minimum you can get away with. Be warned it can discolor wood, sort of like a water ring. Or at least create a cloudy sort of look on the finish. It also leaves an oily mark on wallpaper. Never a problem for me because that area will always be covered by something. If you're placing something permanently, you may as well use glue.

Flicker units only pulse all lights if connected to the main run of a copper tape wiring system. They interrupt the power flow to create the flicker, thereby interrupting the current to everything else connected to that run. If you're plugging hard wire into a power strip, it should work just fine. I've done it and it didn't cause anything else to flicker. You should not have to plug it into a separate power strip. If you do encounter a flickering problem, however, that's your fix; just use a different power strip for anything that flickers.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:23 AM, havanaholly said:

Billie, there are only dumb questions if you don't ask them.

As my grandmother always used to say, "There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." HAHA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...