Was almost ready to pitch my hutch out the window

grazhina

So I've been working on a 1930's era style kitchen hutch, based on one I saw in the movie A Christmas story. I generally make my doors and drawers non-opening, because I don't care about putting things inside anyway, but this time I wanted a single glass door that opens with things inside. I kept making small miscalculations, but eventually got the top part where the glass door went just about done - finally. But then, the dang door wouldn't open the way it was supposed to. Grrrrrrrrr.......... I thought to myself.....what if I bought a hutch with glassed upper doors and took it apart, repainted it and used it on top of my base.   No go...... the only suitably sized and shaped thing I could find was way below my quality standards.

I tore off the front of the hutch I'd been working on (we've had a lot of rain and the glue hasn't been drying all that great anyway). I've decided to select my items, glue them to the shelves, then make a pair of doors and glue them to the front - period.

Unless you're planning to take the things out and use them elsewhere and later put them back (like I sometimes do when playing with my houses), I think it's perfectly OK to glue things into place.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Unless you're planning to take the things out and use them elsewhere and later put them back (like I sometimes do when playing with my houses), I think it's perfectly OK to glue things into place.

That's what I say! I regard my dollhouses and roomboxes as my art form. Actually, that's how I really got into building them. I'd been working on a painting and just could not get the effect I was looking for, so I decided to take a break and finish the dollhouse I'd designed and started building a few years before but never gotten past the first floor.

Me again. Last night in bed I realized I'd cut the pieces for the new cabinet doors all wrong. I've started over. I'm frustrated and I want to eat a pie. Not a slice of pie, but a pie. Usually I want pastry, but now I want a pie, and the closest market to my house sells lousy pie. .......I've got a couple of cinnamon doughnuts hidden in a drawer.....maybe that'll do.

A quickie pie I make for the hubs & me takes a can of crescent roll dough and a can of fruit pie filling I've also done it with cut up fruit and sugar); I lay out the pieces of dough on a sheet of waxed paper with the short points slightly overlapping and the long points sticking out all around.  I have a salt shaker filled with cinnamon sugar that I sprinkle on the waxed paper & on my crescent roll dough before I lay a second sheet of waxed paper on top and roll it to join (and slightly spread) the overlapped dough.  Remove the top layer of waxed paper, pop the dough into a small pie pan & remove the second sheet of waxed paper, dump in the can of pie filling and pull up the points and lay them over each other, pop it into a preheated 350F degree oven for a half hour, and you have a lovely smallish pie to gorge yourself on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

A quickie pie I make for the hubs & me takes a can of crescent roll dough and a can of fruit pie filling I've also done it with cut up fruit and sugar); I lay out the pieces of dough on a sheet of waxed paper with the short points slightly overlapping and the long points sticking out all around.  I have a salt shaker filled with cinnamon sugar that I sprinkle on the waxed paper & on my crescent roll dough before I lay a second sheet of waxed paper on top and roll it to join (and slightly spread) the overlapped dough.  Remove the top layer of waxed paper, pop the dough into a small pie pan & remove the second sheet of waxed paper, dump in the can of pie filling and pull up the points and lay them over each other, pop it into a preheated 350F degree oven for a half hour, and you have a lovely smallish pie to gorge yourself on.

Thanks, Holly!

I've made a new door frame & cut out a piece of acrylic for the glass. Am now selecting items to be glued inside the cabinet. I've held on to 2 sets of Chrysnbon translucent green dinnerware, but when you place the beautifully scaled Chrysnbon dishes on the shelf with other 1" scale items, the dishes look too small. It's the other things that are too big, the dishes are correct. My mom bought a set of square green glass dinnerware back in 1951 or 52, but she soon quit using them. She said that when you poured coffee into the cups it looked disgusting. They were pretty dishes, though.

Well, here it is. I still have to glue the top to the bottom half, and I see a few places that need touchup paint, but overall, I think it looks pretty good. I changed the dishes, the Chrysnbons just sort of faded away in there. I felt the porcelain plates were still too thick and chunky for my liking, so I took care of how I arranged them. They do look retro-wise. Can't change anything now, it's all sealed up.

IMG_3798.JPG

Edited by grazhina
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

It looks great Grazhina.  I love that house.

I think about doing A Christmas Story house every time I watch the movie. I have a Ralphie ornament in the pink bunny suit I want to use.

I saw this post last night and it made me giggle. This morning I woke up and started visualizing it again. 😁

Here's a picture of what I've got for the kitchen right now. It used to be a circa 1900 kitchen stashed full, but I decided that of all my roomboxes it was my least favorite. Fun to make, though. Anyway, I sold off all the furniture that was in it on ebay for a tidy sum, and am redoing it. Actually, I've had several different furniture groupings of what I was going to put in my next kitchen setting. The kitchen table has been one of my favorites for years, and I'm finally going to use it with a repaired and repainted Bespaq Honeymoon Cottage chair. The PA Dutch wood stove came with woodburner lids or gas burners, and I'm going to add knobs for gas.

I want to cut out some of the wall tile and add a window over the sink with a painted scene in it. I wish I hadn't glued on the top of the roombox.....oh well. I also need to add another cabinet, shelf or worktable to balance things out visually. Not sure of what, so far.

Now I'll either decide on what else to put into the room, or finish painting a wooden chest I started a couple months ago, or sell Amos Gooch's cottage, I'm going to make Amos a roombox, changing out some of his furniture, and have decided I'm ready to let go of the cottage, even though I still love the landscaping I did on it.

4 hours ago, grazhina said:

I saw this post last night and it made me giggle. This morning I woke up and started visualizing it again. 😁

Mr. Parker:
He looks like a deranged Easter Bunny.

Mother:
He does not!

Mr. Parker:
He does too, he looks like a pink nightmare!

he-looks-like-a-pink-nightmare.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been moved to tears from frustration with projects. I so hear you. *hugs* I hope you get it working how you want.  EDITED : I should have read the whole thread haha It looks awesome 😃

Edited by asherah