First Step…

Eyeknit

Okay. I’m stoked about this. My first kit is arriving soon. It’s a Greenleaf Westville.   Read the warmup sheet- It looks like sealing the wood is the first step. Am I right?  And do I have to do the shellac/alcohol thing or can I spray it with a wood sealer?  I need the outside smelly stuff to take the least amount of time possible since I have a little one that can’t hang out in the heat very long. Thanks in advance!

Hi, Stephanie:

I use Gesso as a primer - no odor. You do have to wait 24 hours for it to dry. Dry fit the house first, double check that it all fits together nicely, and mark where the walls will be glued - you don't need to prime that area. Also, when you dry fit, you can get a good feel for the house and how your decor will work - though I have often had spur of the moment inspirations later in the build.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I use a flat latex paint, usually white, left over from real size house projects.  I normally prime after the house is built - I am one that does the wallpaper, etc. after the house is constructed.  I find it easier for me to do this, as when I run my electrical tape, I don't have to worry about where it needs to go before I decorate.  I find I change things up as I go in decorating a house (inside and out)! :crazyeyes:

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, Eyeknit said:

What do you use for primer? And any tips for a newbie?

I keep a can of flat white interior latex paint both to prime with and to tint with acrylic paint I use straight from the tube to make custom colors.