Window Seat

jaxenro

I have been doing "paintings" for a bit and wanted to do a little project just for fun. I really like this window seat by Duncan Phyfe but it is a bit complicated for a quick project. I have some madrone burl and thin leather lying around so I started playing with designs using this as an inspiration. I was thinking of turning it into a mission style but I think with the burl I ended up with a more Art Deco type of vibe to it. My sketch is below it. I have the parts cut out should be done in a day or so and will post a photo

kLqEA5i.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Do you have a lathe to turn those feet?  

I  would look for beads of appropriate size to replicate the legs. 

No cushion yet and a sloppy coat of oil soaking in but i think you can see where it is going. I will let the oil soak some then sand it with the oil on it to fill the pores and add more oil. I think when done the burl pattern will show. A nice, simple, clean design with curves and burl wood almost reminiscent of "waterfall" style art deco. 

qWAKDJ7.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

yup the alkanet infused linseed oil makes it makes the burl pop. i sanded it to 1000 grit and have another coat of oil soaking in it ends up smooth as silk that way. doing the cushion today. then i can put it on the shelf, ignore it, and eventually give it away

am finally getting back to the "marble" busts project I started working a while ago. i have these four ready to mold, Socrates, Ares, and two Venus (Canova's Italica and the Venus de Milo)

M8Ph5yQ.jpg

wouldn't it make a dramatic art deco version of a French empire bed? All that burl and nice clean lines

even more interesting would be to curve the corner posts using laminated burl soaked and wrapped around a dowel to dry. all that madrone burl, curved lines, and a hand rubbed oil finish as maybe a full or queen size bed

then a matching window seat across the end of the bed - and maybe a stool and dressing table to match all in burl. round mirror on the dressing table

i might do it someday it's a lot of work on a set to give away

tsBdFgz.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1