coconut fiber thatched roof - help with shedding?

IndyCindy

My Aster cottage finally has a thatched roof. I used coconut fiber and basically followed the tutorial offered by Earth and Tree. I'm satisfied with the results, but I'm noticing LOTS of shedding. Today I was brainstorming ideas to help with the shedding and I wondered if a heavy coat of hairspray might work? Is this ridiculous? Will it not age well if I introduce something synthetic to the natural coconut fibers? Any suggestions and advice are welcome! 

Hairspray holds natural fiber cloth to shape without yellowing or otherwise changing its appearance. I do not know why it would not work as well on the coconut fiber. It is invisible when it dries.

• Thanks 1

I just did the Aster Cottage with coconut fiber. I used watered down pva glue in a spray bottle and after it was done I lightly sprayed it into the "roots" and over the top. I used a paper towel to dab off the drops of glue. It's held well no shedding. 

Kim

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KatFord said:

I just did the Aster Cottage with coconut fiber. I used watered down pva glue in a spray bottle and after it was done I lightly sprayed it into the "roots" and over the top. I used a paper towel to dab off the drops of glue. It's held well no shedding. 

Kim

Perfect! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

• Like 1