My new sink cabinet

grazhina

I've gotten past rearranging furniture into finally making a sink cabinet for a retro style kitchen roombox. I have no idea what period the room will be, for now just generic retro. Originally I'd planned on using a Reutter kitchen sink cabinet, but I didn't want it to be stained brown so I removed the sink and repainted the cabinet. Turned out in the end it wasn't what I wanted after all, so I started over.  The porcelain sink is the one from Reutter, the box is my own design. I changed the color a couple of times till I liked it. Gee, it matches the mom's skirt. Nice!

I think if I cut the top section of the Reutter sink cabinet it'll look good as a hutch atop a table, but I just finished drawing out a kitchen hutch for the retro kitchen. Dunno....we'll see.

IMG_3792.JPG

• Like 2

I love it! I like your phrase "generic retro." IMO, that sink with cabinet could be any time from 1880s (indoor plumbing) to early 1940s (prior to mass-produced metal cabinets and formica). So you have a long span of time to play with.

10 minutes ago, Kells said:

I love it! I like your phrase "generic retro." IMO, that sink with cabinet could be any time from 1880s (indoor plumbing) to early 1940s (prior to mass-produced metal cabinets and formica). So you have a long span of time to play with.

Thanks Kells. My little mother could be from anytime from 1930's onwards, and she has a cute little toddler, too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Thanks Kells. My little mother could be from anytime from 1930's onwards, and she has a cute little toddler, too.

Oopsy, I was only looking at the sink, haha. She does look very 1930s. Maybe even 1940s. Put a war rations coupon book on the drainboard, hang some cherry or strawberry print curtains above and you'd be well on your way to a WWII setting.

My mother made some ivy-ish stencils and dabbed dark green Rit dye over perfectly lovely white broadcloth to make her kitchen curtains; not that they matched anything, but she had a set of milk glass plates with cherries, strawberries and other fruit screen printed all over them.

This turned out really nice! I have a similar Reutter sink cabinet but it's half scale. I don't really like the cabinet. Maybe I'll try this.

While waiting for paint to dry, I popped together this display of the top half of the Reutter sink cabinet as a hutch atop a work table. I think I prefer the table to be just a tad narrower, but I had the framework sitting around on a shelf.

IMG_3796.JPG

• Like 1