House Beautiful's "Dollhouse Beautiful" series for 2021

Kells

I'm pretty much underwhelmed. Except for a few bright spots, most look like they were done by 4th graders who have no concept of scale. They might consider giving 6 miniaturists a shot to do a house in a particular design style or a style of their choice.  They'd have a better chance of getting rooms worthy of appearing in House Beautiful.

12 hours ago, Medieval said:

Who leaves a dollhouse with bare walls and floors? And fills it with stuff? Im still scratching my head over the Scandinavian one. Sharebs Finnish cottage beats it hands down!

They're designers, not miniaturists.  Some people ought to leave dollhouses alone.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Some people ought to leave dollhouses alone.

:ermm: Yep. Even be forbidden to approach within 10 feet!

Although to give them some credit, I think it is harder for a designer to create in miniature than it is for a miniaturist to design in life size. Think of all the times we have heard the highest compliment--"I thought it was a real room"--said about fabulous builds. Personally, I drew on my mini experience while renovating my kitchen, and I'd put it the result up against a kitchen from House Beautiful any day.  It might even be misidentified as a miniature scene! :D 

Added photo -- so, does it look like a miniature?

Stove Wall 2.JPG

Edited by KathieB
Added photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I would gladly sell my eldest son for the knife block and wire fruit basket in 1:12!

:hmm:  Not sure I need your son, but that makes me think. 

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Stove Wall 2.JPG

Ooh, I like your tiles! 

For me the only thing that makes it not a mini picture is the lighting and shadows, not the lights specifically, more the light on the walls etc - which someone could of course cleverly do in mini I'm sure!

Did y'all notice there is no microwave above the stove?  Before the renovation, every time I looked at it, I thought  it looked like an alien ship ready to beam up the cookware. :D It had to go.

So, I just finished watching (not all, but most) and was also underwhelmed. I was confused because I thought they all had to work on the same house (California style) and then there was the RGT house - where the stairs were omitted and the gaping hole was left.  No trim work. No door handles or windows (Cal house). Creases and open seams on wallpaper. Granted, my work is not perfect; I guess I am too fussy about the details. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kells said:

Notice I didn't include my opinion of any of those dollhouses when I posted the link. I think we are all in agreement that we're not impressed, lol.

I recall The last time that House Beautiful had professional decorators decorate a dollhouse I was just as underwhelmed.  If they're that sloppy working in mini, why would I want them doing anything with my 1:1 house?

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

I recall The last time that House Beautiful had professional decorators decorate a dollhouse I was just as underwhelmed.  If they're that sloppy working in mini, why would I want them doing anything with my 1:1 house?

HAHA! RIGHT?? Not exactly a selling point for their services.

I thought more about this show. Since these are professional designers, working in miniature is really an extension of their profession - they like their jobs (I assume), but they don't have the PASSION for miniatures that we do. I think that is what we see is missing in their houses. 

• Thanks 1

I think it would be fun if someone were to challenge miniaturists to a decorating competition. I suspect with our reduced-scale experience we would be more successful than the decorators.  We study the history of design, architectural periods, and know what "real" fabrics and other materials look like and love to experiment as we try to replicate realistic settings.

• Like 1

That would be fun to see.  Given the amount of time a whole house would take, maybe give miniaturists a full-scale designer room to re-do (or be inspired by) in miniature.  While I agree that most of the houses left me cold (I thought the woman whose mother was a miniaturist did the best), the designers aren't given much time.  Think how long it takes to make a really beautiful house in miniature.  If they set up a contest for miniaturists, they'd have to allow more than a few hours!