Removing Museum Wax?

AngeH

Hi - I googled and searched the forums but didn't find anything on this. I use museum wax to stick everything on the walls of my dollhouse - at the moment they are painted only (but I'm going to attempt wallpaper in the near future!)

I love this stuff, but it has a dark side.

Every time I change my mind and move something, which is often, I have a really hard time getting the residue of the wax off the walls. Is there a tried and true method to do this?

Thank you!

Well, I'd treat it like a wax stain. I've used this method for candle wax that spilled on the wall and hardwood floor in my old apartment.

Scrape off what you can, then with a terry cloth rag wipe off as much as possible. Now lay down a clean terry cloth or brown paper bag and use an iron at low heat over top The wax will be absorbed into the towel (or paper). Personally, I had better results with the paper and could tell where the wax had been absorbed.

I've seen some people say to use alcohol, but I'd be worried about damaging the paint.

I've also used the iron and brown paper bag method.

If you used a hair dryer to warm the area, maybe that would be enough since it would be hard to get an iron into a house.

They do make tiny irons for quilting with a couple sizes of heads. That might be an option too.

• Like 1

Great tips! I've also had the residue of museum wax become a problem before. Its easily removed off of the mini furniture but I haven't been able to successfully remove it from paint or wallpaper. Good to know there is a way.

I have one of those tiny irons. I got it to press seams in doll clothes (another someday project lol) but it works like a charm for applying iron-on veneer. Plus it's too cute for words :)

I have one, too--it gets really, really hot.

I really like poster putty for temporary hold.

Holly, is there a brand you recommend? Can you use this in pretty much the same way as the wax? Does it not leave residue?

I don't know the brand, since it's packed away at present (and has been for a couple of years); I got it in the stationery/ office supply section at Wal Mart. I've used it over and over again, including during the Magnolia build I did for the Team Magnolia building blog, to hold the doors and windows in place until after I decorated the house. The only residue I've noticed is after several years of holding barstools to the floor of my pub, when I finally took them up to install the shelves behind the bar with E6000 (not even super glue gel was doing the job) there was a dry looking patch that a dab of veggie oil on a bit of paper towel rubbed in took care of. I haven't noticed residue on any other surface I've used it.

Edited by havanaholly

• 8 years later...

I am getting ready to attempt a good cleaning/dusting in my dollhouse. It has never been done before since it's completion about 2 years ago. Everything is held in place with museum wax. I had read somewhere it was the best thing to use if I wanted to move anything around in the future. Is there any good way to remove it from literally everything? From the makeup compact on the bathroom sink, to the runes and crystals on the living room coffee table, the thought is almost overwhelming. Any tips or tricks?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use the poster putty (BluTak, I think) for temporary, and clear silicone caulk/glue for permanent but removable.  Love that stuff, comes cleanly off nonporous items like pottery and finished wood.  Haven't been able to find the small tubes lately, Dap brand.  It always seems to be sold out.