Ideas on how to “age” a little globe?

AngeH

Hello, I haven’t been an active participant in a long time but I recently became re-obsessed with my dollhouse.

I have this little globe and it looks too new/fake. I was trying to think of  a way to make it look older but afraid of destroying it by experimenting. – and if anyone would know it would be here! Thanks for any suggestions 🙂

F8F3D082-6FB1-4271-8A07-895F2FE233DF.jpeg

If you pull out that pin at the top, can you remove the globe?

I would paint the frame black, or darken it with stain. Minwax gel stain can be applied over polyurethane.

And then I'd print out a more antique globe and glue it on over the existing globe. This YouTube video shows how to do it and has links to templates (you might need to resize them): https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&app=desktop&v=rTYcc28eXRo&feature=share

• Like 1

I antiqued a similar globe by applying a mix of white glue and light tan craft paint.  The mix dries mostly transparent, but mutes the bright colors while still revealing details.

The glue also helps paint stick to metal, resin, and other non-porous materials.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks so much! I read through these three excellent responses and now my brain is percolating a combination of all three suggestions.  And if I screw it up too badly I can use the link in Emily’s post to create a completely new globe!  Have a great weekend all and thanks again😊 

Edited by AngeH
Accident

Re the frame, I would antique it by using a dilute dark stain, wipe it on and immediatelty wipe it off. Leaving just traces , wipe all the same way. it should work well. When completely dry then spray it to set it. Personally I would also give it a go on the globe but use something much much lighter, coffee perhaps and I would use a damp sea spoge to apply it..Good luck

I would put a paint stripper on the wood. I like the citrus type paint removers, they go on like a gel and stay put. Once the original stain is mostly gone, assess how much stain you want to add back to the wood. Sand sharp edges to be more rounded and used looking. I prefer using burnt umber oil paint instead of regular wood stain. Brush on, wipe off.  As far as the globe thats trickier- would depend on how it’s made, but possibly an antiquing medium would work- sold next to craft paint. 
have fun- I totally get it about getting re obsessed with your dollhouse. It comes in waves for me lol- Karin 

Edited by WyckedWood

21 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I would put a paint stripper on the wood. I like the citrus type paint removers, they go on like a gel and stay put. Once the original stain is mostly gone, assess how much stain you want to add back to the wood... 

....have fun- I totally get it about getting re obsessed with your dollhouse. It comes in waves for me lol- Karin 

Thanks Karin!  I bought quite a bit of cheap doll house furniture I bought when I was in a hurry to fill the house. Almost all of it has this ugly, shiny red stain I guess it supposed to look like cherry wood. The gel paint stripper you mention, sounds like this would be a way for me to attack the furniture I don’t like!

(Also, this is the second time around for my obsession and it’s looking like it might be even more intense, which I wouldn’t have thought possible!)

Edited by AngeH

21 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Re the frame, I would antique it by using a dilute dark stain, wipe it on and immediatelty wipe it off. Leaving just traces , wipe all the same way. it should work well. When completely dry then spray it to set it. Personally I would also give it a go on the globe but use something much much lighter, coffee perhaps and I would use a damp sea spoge to apply it..Good luck

Thanks Jeannine. I definitely like the idea of incorporating coffee into the dollhouse strategy, since that would combine two things that I love passionately 😝

Keeping in mind that I’m new to updating purchased furniture, when you say “spray it to set it” what do you mean, spray it with what?

Edited by AngeH

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2021 at 8:18 AM, AngeH said:

Thanks Jeannine. I definitely like the idea of incorporating coffee into the dollhouse strategy, since that would combine two things that I love passionately 😝

Keeping in mind that I’m new to updating purchased furniture, when you say “spray it to set it” what do you mean, spray it with what?

Sorry I just saw this, I meant just a light spray of clear finish, either gloss  or matt, it just gives a nice finish as some paint can look quite dull when used as an antiquing  medium as you use so little.