working on a 1:24 "stone" roof

grazhina

I got an idea of how to make my 1:24 Tudor cottage stone roof. I ordered some Rust-oleum stone spray paint and tried it on some black cardstock. The cardstock was too lightweight, so I decided to try posterboard, but my local source of posterboard is barely thicker than the too thin cardstock, so I tried it on some of my pre-covid white poster board. I sprayed the pant onto some of the paper, then cut some strips, and dabbed some black on the edges of the "stones" and here and there.

Pictures are up in gallery. One picture shows an actual roof with the kind of stone I'm trying to sort of replicate. Another shows the paint on white posterboard, and the third shows the effect on the black cardstock. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Holly & Muriel. It looks like I may have to paint my white posterboard black or dark gray before I spray on the brown stone paint. I wish I could get some decent heavy weight black poster board. Just had a terrible thought, my last full sheet of poster board is a bit on the lightweight side. I'll have to check it. On the other hand, I just remembered I've got some old white card stock in a drawer in the dining room. I know it's thicker than the black card stock I bought recently. 

I added the "stone" slates to the main central portion of the roof and the wooden decorative panel just below. I also added the little pent roofs over the other two upper story windows. I glued some decorative timberwork to one side wall, but I'm not quite done, so I didn't take a picture of that part.

I'd bought some more basswood during my building break, but it doesn't seem to be taking the stain the same way my older stuff did. I may have to fiddle with it. At least the new wood is almost all on the sides of the building.

1  .JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2021 at 2:19 AM, Cati said:

The different weathered textures from the roof, to the wood to the brick give the house a lot of realism.

Thank you, Adriana!

I've gotten a little more slating done on the roof, and made the top half of the chimney that goes up along the left hand exterior wall. Next I'll have to slate that portion of roof and glue on the new chimney part. I decided to make the chimney in 2 pieces because I thought it might be easier to deal with that way. It's probably going to be a pain anyway, but one never knows until one tries. I also added shutters to 2 ground floor windows.  I'm done for the day. We're having several days of unusually early 90 degree weather, which we're not used to, and no air conditioning. I've got a spooky novel to read on my kindle, while sitting in front of the fan.

Been working slowly on the roof and one of the chimneys. I completed the end chimney, covering it with brick paper, then blended it to the lower half which was covered with plaster. I smoked the bricks up with varying degrees of black wash. I'll probably add a little plaster to the end walls between the timbers before I'm done. One day I'll think it looks fine as is just painted, another day I'll shake my head and think no, gotta add more texture.

Today I started work on the back roof, and I'll have to cut out a thick double chimney for that side. I just sprayed a piece of posterboard which I had painted black, with the stone effect spray paint. That stuff takes a while to dry, so I may be done for the day.

IMG_3782 re   .jpg

• Like 2