Just checking in!

rodentraiser

I just went through and deleted all but one of my albums because those houses no longer exist. I had to get rid of them right before I moved in 2018 as per the management where I was living. But I did bash a New Orleans kit summer before last. I got it to the point where it was primed then I put it in storage. I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it or not but I'd like to finish it as a French house if I do. Anyway, there are pics on my phone and if I can figure out how to get those on to the computer, I'll make an album for that house.

Lisa is coming to visit me tonight so maybe she can figure out how to get the pictures here.

I may as well finish it. I already have the wallpaper for it and a circular staircase. So I guess when I get home and if it's nice out, I'll start to get it electrified. And dormers still need to be put on it.

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

pics on my phone and if I can figure out how to get those on to the computer

I email the photos to myself and save them into the appropriate folder to get them onto my computer.

Glad to hear you will be building again. :) 

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Thanks everyone!

Holly! You did WHAT? Sounds worse than what I'm going through. 

I don't have to walk on my arms.  I've been playing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" walking my right hand up the walls, door frames and tall furniture and generally using it as if it worked OK (which, due to trashing the rotator cuff, which the orthopedist says is inoperable, it isn't OK).  It could have been a lot worse, but with all the calcium I take and eat in my normal diet it was a clean break instead of a shatter.  I won't be paddling the kayak for a while yet...  If our floor were laid on wood joists instead of on a cement slab I might have bounced instead.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:35 PM, KathieB said:

I email the photos to myself and save them into the appropriate folder to get them onto my computer.

Glad to hear you will be building again. :) 

Well, now that was a big duh. I guess I should have been able to figure that out myself. My mother's right - some days I'm not smart enough to be let out without my keeper.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:40 PM, havanaholly said:

I don't have to walk on my arms.  I've been playing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" walking my right hand up the walls, door frames and tall furniture and generally using it as if it worked OK (which, due to trashing the rotator cuff, which the orthopedist says is inoperable, it isn't OK).  It could have been a lot worse, but with all the calcium I take and eat in my normal diet it was a clean break instead of a shatter.  I won't be paddling the kayak for a while yet...  If our floor were laid on wood joists instead of on a cement slab I might have bounced instead.

Holly, you take care. We're none of us a bunch of spring chickens anymore. We can't afford to be breaking bones. 

4 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, now that was a big duh. I guess I should have been able to figure that out myself. My mother's right - some days I'm not smart enough to be let out without my keeper.

Don't ask how long it took me to figure that out! :D 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Muriel! I think I've adopted a cat. How's that for wildlife? 

Hey, guys, long time, no see! I'm sorry for checking out for so long, but not working on anything miniature and with everything else going on, I just didn't feel like showing up and complaining about all my problems. But I guess it's time to catch y'all up.

My ankle has healed nicely, except I now have a left foot 1/2 size larger than the right. But my ankle was only the start of this year's health problems. Here's what else has happened:

I've been into the ER three times now with what my doctor thinks is gall bladder problems and he thinks the gall bladder has to come out. I'd be happy. A couple days in the hospital having people wait on me hand and foot and being able to watch TV would do me good. Wait...didn't I just do that? Well, anyway, then I tore the miniscus of my right knee again. Then I got a flu shot and ended up with cellulitis (skin infection). Then in September I got sciatica. Not too bad at first, but then it went wild. It's getting much better but still prevents me from really doing anything. I'm on gabapentin, Vicodin, and my third prescription of Percocet. I have an MRI scheduled next week (which may show I need surgery on my back) and an appointment at a pain clinic at the end of the month. I've been doing chiropractic visits but they didn't do much good so now I'm doing physical therapy. 

And oh, yes, my mom died in August. She was 92 and had cancer, so we knew this was coming. But I am soooooo ready to see the back end of 2022. And we still have two months to go. eeeeeeeee:headhurts: 

Nothing else is happening currently except of course, the unseasonably cold temps we're supposed to get next week and dare I say it - snow flurries. It's like this summer never happened, but would you believe that three weeks ago we had near 90 degree heat? 

Reddy Kilowatt was with me at least in June when she came inside the trailer and jumped on my shoulder, but I haven't seen her since. I think she's gone. I did have a brash and bold young male squirrel tame himself and climb on my arm when I sat outside with peanuts, but he seems to have vanished as well. And most of my birds left when we had all that smoke from the wildfires descend on us for a couple days. All I have left are 10 jays now and about 50 doves. The rest are migrating south or just plain gone. 

Oh, but I did put up a hummingbird feeder and I have at least three of those little critters coming around now. And a black cat who curled up on my bench cushion like she belonged there. "She's not getting fed," says I. So I put out a can of tuna for her. "She's not getting coddled," says I. So I put out a box with one of my sweatshirts in it for her. "She's not coming in the trailer," says I. So she was in the trailer yesterday. And to top it all off, I don't think she's a stray. I think someone owns her.

But it's nice to sit outside and pet a cat for half an hour every day.

I also tossed a few rocks at the deer to move them along out of my yard, only to watch them go for the rocks like a dog goes for a bone. Seems one of the neighbors is throwing apples out for the deer. So guess who got apples for the deer? They know the word "apple" now, as in "Do you want an apple?" Heads and ears go up like they're on strings. Now if they would only learn "No more" and "Go away!"

Hope everyone here is doing well. I'll wander back if anything else happens.

Edited by rodentraiser

Kathie, if 2023 isn't a better year, I'm going to have to speak to someone about it. 

Yeah, Holly, I'm just hangin' in there. I just looked up one of my old friends from California with an idea of calling her and found out she died in 2004. I guess we should have kept in better touch with each other. :(

But on the plus side, I may get the yard done next spring. If I want a garden, then I'm going to need a fence. So next year I'm thinking of putting up a fence and finishing the yard off so I don't have to look at a moonscape anymore. I'm thinking of seeding the yard with meadow grass and wildflowers so I only have to cut it once a year. It's called lazyitis and I'm afraid I've been affected by it.

My juncos and towhees are coming back. This morning I had quail on one side of me and a hummingbird on the other plus 5 deer checking me out, so I couldn't move. And I have another little squirrel coming in to eat now too. 

Edited by rodentraiser
can't put two consecutive words together without misspelling

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I may be getting closer to having internet. My neighbor is letting me use his WiFi and it seems like it works really well. It's Starlink, so I may have a go at getting it soon. It's new for this area. The only other internet satellite links were too expensive, had ridiculous data caps, and just sucked overall.

I really won't be posting much because I really don't have a project to work on. At least until summer. I got a Duracraft Heritage kit and of course, I'm all over the place as to how I'm going to change it. But that means buying 1/8" and 1/4" wood and cutting it, and I won't be able to do that for quite a while.

We got 5" of snow here and supposedly another 8" is coming in tonight. My trailer awning was blown off the trailer last spring and the canopy I got to replace it just collapsed from the snow. I also had an arbor that fell on one side and twisted on the other. I don't know if that's a write off too, but I'm not checking until after all the snow is gone. I am not Hans Brinker; I refuse to get out there to slip and slide all over the place.

So a new canopy takes precedence over the dollhouse at the moment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, I may be getting closer to having internet.

But that means buying 1/8" and 1/4" wood and cutting it, 

Yay, Kelly! I think I'd go nuts without internet access. Even if you aren't working on a project, it will be great having you back on a fairly regular basis to comment, offer advice, and identify houses. :) 

As for the wood, might you consider using foam core board or alligator board for bits of the bash? It can be amazingly strong in the scales we work with and can be cut with a utility knife. (Actually, so can the wood be cut with a utility knife. It just takes more work.)

• Agree 1

It would be easier to get hold of wood. I haven't even seen foam core anywhere in Belfair.

If you know anything about the Duracraft houses, you know their "walls" (sided on one side, flat on the other) slide down between posts. What this does on the inside is leave a raised post along the walls so if you're putting in baseboard or ceiling molding, you have a break because the walls aren't flush with the posts on the inside.

What I'm going to do is take the 1/8" wood and cut it to fit the inside walls between the posts. This will bring it level to the posts and make the house 1/4" thick. Then I'll fill the gaps with wood filler and then sand.and prime. The nice thing about this is the new 1/8" wood will hold up the second floor without gluing braces underneath.

The quarter inch wood I want simply because I'm going to completely replace the interior walls and make a sunroom outside the kitchen, for a combination sunroom and breakfast/eating area.

I think I'm going to buy a small hand saw (non-electric). That would work much better than a utility knife or the saw that comes with the miter boxes.

• Like 1

Kelly, for straight cuts I have a Japanese pull saw with a reasonably high tooth count that cuts wood like a warm knife through butter and use a pulling motion, which is much less tiring.  Not sure why the ones in the link are so expensive; I have two and didn't pay anything like that for either one.

• Like 1

I'm going down to Ace tomorrow and I'll check out what they have. I'm in no hurry to start this build at all. I like the looks of that one a lot. I may just go ahead and order it when I go to the library tomorrow. It can't be any more expensive than Ace.

Thanks!

Edited by rodentraiser