Help with Removing Pierce dollhouse wall.

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me. I received a pierce dollhouse my best friends grandparents made for her and she has now gifted to my daughter. It was in need of a refresh so I've been remodeling it. My question is does anyone know if there is away to remove cut out the interior bay window wall. It's basically the wall that sits in front of the bay window. They are driving me mad and it feels impossible to redecorate with them there unfortunately I don't have the time anymore to take apart the whole house and put it back together so hoping there is away to remove it without losing the house structure.

Thank you for any help in advance. 

It's too bad you took on a dollhouse remodel if you're pressed for time.  If the house was built with hot glue you could take a hair dryer to it to soften the glue around the wall and see if you can wiggle it loose.  If your daughter is old enough, perhaps she could assist you?

4 hours ago, Jackie-doll said:

It's basically the wall that sits in front of the bay window.

Hi Jackie. Welcome to the forum! Do you have a photo you can share?  I'm having a hard time picturing which wall you are describing.

I suppose you could trim it back flush to the bay window sections and the floor above. But I second Holly. This is not something you can do super fast. It will take time. 

You could try to use scrap paper and tape to cover the part of the wall on the interior to make a pattern and flip it. Then use that to make a wallpaper cut out the should cover the bay window side of the wall. I would imagine painting would be horrific. Unless you remove the windows to make it easier to access.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hi Jackie. Welcome to the forum! Do you have a photo you can share?  I'm having a hard time picturing which wall you are describing.

this is the internal wall i'm talking about. I'm trying to paint the bay window and it's a nightmare to do with the wall. There are three of them throughout the house. I can't imagine How i would wall paper it in a room I would want. 

2CDB0102-5E95-4913-9309-89AB8DBE41E1.jpeg

Edited by Jackie-doll

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's too bad you took on a dollhouse remodel if you're pressed for time.  If the house was built with hot glue you could take a hair dryer to it to soften the glue around the wall and see if you can wiggle it loose.  If your daughter is old enough, perhaps she could assist you?

I only took on a remodel because someone said building a fresh one would take me longer but now I'm deep in it not sure I made the right decision. 

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

I suppose you could trim it back flush to the bay window sections and the floor above. But I second Holly. This is not something you can do super fast. It will take time. 

You could try to use scrap paper and tape to cover the part of the wall on the interior to make a pattern and flip it. Then use that to make a wallpaper cut out the should cover the bay window side of the wall. I would imagine painting would be horrific. Unless you remove the windows to make it easier to access.

I tried painting two of them though I imagine at least one of them I'll be trying to wallpaper. There are no windows on it at the moment I had to remove em to remove the wall paper that was there. It was peeling and yellowed and needed to go. 

It might actually be simpler to gently remove the bay and replace it when all the redecorating's done. If the wallpaper was yellow and peeling I wonder if any of the house was originally primed when it was built, before it was decorated.  If it were me, I would carefully take the house apart and rebuild it.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It might actually be simpler to gently remove the bay and replace it when all the redecorating's done. If the wallpaper was yellow and peeling I wonder if any of the house was originally primed when it was built, before it was decorated.  If it were me, I would carefully take the house apart and rebuild it.

sad. :( Thank you for the advice. Honestly I just don't have the time to take it apart I've been working on it an hour or two at a time every night and was hoping to finish it all in the next to weeks to gift it. I think i'll just have to work with what I can and be okay if it's not perfect. i can be such a perfectionist. :( 

Hi and welcome :)

Depending on your daughter's age it might be worth changing your mind on gifting it finished and gift it as a project for the two of you. You can do some bits now if course, but if a project she can play now and fix when there's time perhaps. Or maybe focus on completing one room so she has an idea of what it could be, then do the rest with less time constraints. 

Good luck anyway and ask away with any questions or advice requests :)

5 hours ago, Jackie-doll said:

this is the internal wall i'm talking about. I'm trying to paint the bay window and it's a nightmare to do with the wall. There are three of them throughout the house. I can't imagine How i would wall paper it in a room I would want. 

2CDB0102-5E95-4913-9309-89AB8DBE41E1.jpeg

If I were faced with this challenge, I would mark off the part that I want to remove and outline it with masking tape. Then I'd take a utility knife with a lot of new blades and gently score the wall, using the tape as my guide. I would not use heavy pressure but instead make many shallow cuts until I was able to remove the piece. I'd put in a new blade fairly often during this process. Then I'd sand the edges of the new opening, as they will probably be a bit rough.  If the edges were really rough or the plywood split, I'd rub in some Spackle (or wallboard mud, joint compound) to smooth it out.

I am currently working on the Pierce - my second dollhouse rescue.  I totally understand your problem, I had the same one, very limited access to the bay windows.  I ended up removing the side bay window, papered the walls and then re-installed the bay.  The other wider set of bay windows posed a different problem as they are above and below the porch roof.  I used an X-Acto saw to cut away sections I did not want.  Trying to complete a dollhouse in two weeks is very ambitious.  

Good luck!

On 5/16/2021 at 6:03 AM, KathieB said:

Hi Marie. I feel so understood :). I've been working on it about 1 month now but I have only two weeks left before my deadline. Since it's for my four year old daughter and removing things are way more then I want to jump into I just decided to paint it as best as I can and move forward unfortunately. Maybe when she's older and eventually stops playing with it I will do more extensive remodeling to pass down to a future grandchild. At this point I feel I need to just press forward in what I can. But it's so nice to know I'm not the only one struggling. :) 

Jackie, if your daughter is only 4, then painting it and leaving further work until she's older is the way to go. You may want to remove the windows. Little hands will want to reach through them to move furniture, toy cars, animals, Leggos, and other stuff around. Don't be surprised if a pony turns up in the bedroom. Also don't be surprised if she does some decorating on her own -- stickers, crayons, markers, etc. Much easier to clean off paint than wallpaper. Keep it simple, and you will finish within your deadline. Let her imagination do the decorating for now. :)  :artist:

You might also want to remove the doors...  Also, if she is a careful child she will enjoy playing carefully with a Pierce.  Be aware her little friends who come to play might not be as careful or respectful of her beautiful dollhouse.

When my daughter was born my mother said she'd buy her a dollhouse when she was 5.  She received a Real Good Toys dollhouse just before her 2nd birthday! Being around mom's and grandma's little houses she was accustomed to being careful and never broke or damaged a single item in her dollhouse.  The only piece to break was a gumball machine, at the hands of a little friend.  There are now 4 generations of us 'playing' together in this wonderful mini-world.

Thirty plus years later the dollhouse is still being enjoyed.

On 5/18/2021 at 3:03 AM, KathieB said:

Jackie, if your daughter is only 4, then painting it and leaving further work until she's older is the way to go. You may want to remove the windows. Little hands will want to reach through them to move furniture, toy cars, animals, Leggos, and other stuff around. Don't be surprised if a pony turns up in the bedroom. Also don't be surprised if she does some decorating on her own -- stickers, crayons, markers, etc. Much easier to clean off paint than wallpaper. Keep it simple, and you will finish within your deadline. Let her imagination do the decorating for now. :)  :artist:

I didn't even consider this. Also didn't even consider that she may decided to decorate it :) Thank you for the tip. 

On 5/18/2021 at 5:30 AM, havanaholly said:

You might also want to remove the doors...  Also, if she is a careful child she will enjoy playing carefully with a Pierce.  Be aware her little friends who come to play might not be as careful or respectful of her beautiful dollhouse.

Thanks for the tip. :)

On 5/18/2021 at 6:32 AM, Marie J said:

When my daughter was born my mother said she'd buy her a dollhouse when she was 5.  She received a Real Good Toys dollhouse just before her 2nd birthday! Being around mom's and grandma's little houses she was accustomed to being careful and never broke or damaged a single item in her dollhouse.  The only piece to break was a gumball machine, at the hands of a little friend.  There are now 4 generations of us 'playing' together in this wonderful mini-world.

Thirty plus years later the dollhouse is still being enjoyed.

How wonderful. I hope it will be something she wants to carry on. I'm a very sentimental person so things hold weight for me so hope my daughter will have some of that. I love this dollhouse mostly because my best friend of 20 years gifted it to me to remodel for my daughter so while it's not the house I would have originally purchased it holds a lot of value in a different form. 

• Like 2

Jackie, I hope as you fiddle with your Pierce you will join your little angel in playing with it; adults may play with dollhouses differently from when they were children, but it's fun nevertheless.