wallpaper paste?

IndyCindy

A small tub of premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store will last you through many dollhouses; cover it with a scrap of plastic grocery bag before you wham the cover back down over it nice & tight.

Edited by havanaholly

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

cover it with a scrap of plastic grocery bag

Press the plastic onto the surface of the paste. The idea is to keep air away from the surface to help prevent drying out and mold development.

I've actually (successfully) used wallpaper paste before. I was just trying to determine if it was a necessary expense. In my early days of miniature building, I was convinced that there was a single/best/correct way to do things, and this forum and good ol' experience have changed my view of that. Having said all that, I went ahead and ordered some wallpaper glue last night. Thanks for weighing in on this! :)

I am no expert but coincidentally I wall papered 2 rooms in my house just a couple of days ago. Without thinking I started the first room with Aillens tacky glue whuch I was using to build, it worked just fine.I noticed my mistake half way through but finished it as I started. I did the 2nd room in wall paper paste and I found the paper harder to work with, it seemeds saturated.I got it on just fine, no bubble but it was harder to do. I used the same brand of wallpapers, they were a little stiff. Anyway for what it is worth I accidentaly did a comparison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I am no expert but coincidentally I wall papered 2 rooms in my house just a couple of days ago. Without thinking I started the first room with Aillens tacky glue whuch I was using to build, it worked just fine.I noticed my mistake half way through but finished it as I started. I did the 2nd room in wall paper paste and I found the paper harder to work with, it seemeds saturated.I got it on just fine, no bubble but it was harder to do. I used the same brand of wallpapers, they were a little stiff. Anyway for what it is worth I accidentaly did a comparison.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience with both.

I find that with wallpaper paste it's best to test on a scrap sample of the wall covering, as some kinds of papers behave better if first sealed.  For natural fabrics starch and a very warm iron applied to the primed wall works.

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I find that with wallpaper paste it's best to test on a scrap sample of the wall covering, as some kinds of papers behave better if first sealed.  For natural fabrics starch and a very warm iron applied to the primed wall works.

Holly is on to something. The rate at which the paper absorbs water is key. The wetter the paper, the harder to handle. Sealing the backside of very absorbent paper would help.

I like regular wallpaper paste because the paper can be gently fiddled with into position and bubbles coaxed out.  I have a wee wooden brayer roller that I use; I think it was originally for wallpaper borders.