Question about electricals

Thimble Hall

Hi gang,

a few years ago I bought a huge amount of light fittings in a clearance sale in the UK.  In my stash, not including the sale ones I have some 1/12th and some 1/24 th, both are marked with scale on the packets. The sale ones are not and they are a bit of a mystery to me. Size wise, they look just like  the 24th scale but... when I look at the plugs on my regular lights, the 1/12th plugs  are clearly twice the size of the 1/24th and the thickness of the wire is less on the 1/24th, this is what I would expect to see yet the unmarked ones have the same size plugs as the 1/12th lights even though the lights themselves are smaller than 1/12th . It is very obvious on the floor  and table lights.  So I guess I am asking why do they have bigger plugs.

I really don't know how  to use these and am most confused. They were extremely cheap although they look the same quality as my others but could they be wired wrong and that is why they were on sale ???

Some half scale lights have the big plugs. It depends on the brand. But the plug size really doesn't matter -- if you think the light looks good in your half scale house, just use it! You can replace the plugs with the other size if you need to, or keep the bigger plugs and use the bigger outlets (if you can find a good way to hide them) or hard wire the lights.

I agree, some 1/24th have bigger plugs, some smaller. Choose the lamps you like to fit in your house and change the plugs if you need to. Cool to have plenty to choose from :)