Mini Needlework (split out from "Booking a dollhouse on Airbnb")

Spooky Squirrel

On 4/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, fov said:

Also, I just noticed the bedroom has the same carpet I'm stitching right now! But with different colors.

IMG_2055.jpg

I know this wasn't the purpose of your post, but I had never thought of needlepointing a carpet so thank you so much for sharing!! 

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Christina, I stitch all my pretty rugs:

diningroom.JPG

gold bedroom.JPG     foyer & foucault's pendulum.JPG

really sad that there isn't a "love" option for the reactions ... they look AMAZING! Can't wait to start making my own!!!

Fun story, after I posted I went on Etsy and bought 2 PDFs for dollhouse carpets (under $3 for both) and will be on the look out for supplies at local thrift stores (I am trying to buy used if I am able to save money and be slightly more enviromentally friendly) 

(I'm splitting these posts out to a new thread so we don't derail the AirBnB thread.)

@Spooky SquirrelI've charted a few rugs and posted the charts for free if you want to try them:

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12327

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=15816

And I agree with Holly, thrift stores can be a great source of fabrics! The nice thing about mini stitching is that a little fabric goes a long way.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:48 PM, fov said:

(I'm splitting these posts out to a new thread so we don't derail the AirBnB thread.)

@Spooky SquirrelI've charted a few rugs and posted the charts for free if you want to try them:

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12327

https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=15816

And I agree with Holly, thrift stores can be a great source of fabrics! The nice thing about mini stitching is that a little fabric goes a long way.

oh thank you!! they are so pretty - you are very talented! I am always in awe of how amazing everyone's work is, I can't get enough of it! LOL The Zebra rocking horse is so cute too <3 

I will be (socially responsibly) thrifting with a friend this weekend (we are both fully vaccinated) so I am hoping to come away with a few goodies! 

21 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Emily, I'm sending you a PM.  My favorite thrift store had some 22-count aida and a couple of smaller tpi even-weave fabrics that are good for a couple of rugs each.

Silly question - what is the best count for dollhouse rugs? 

4 minutes ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

Silly question - what is the best count for dollhouse rugs? 

There is no such thing as a silly/ dumb question if you have to ask.  TPI depends on scale; I showed picture of the rugs I stitched for the 1:24 Fairfields.  I used a close-weave linen for them.  I used 22 tpi aida and another linen in the high teens - 20s count for 1:12; it depends on the size and detail:

the poinsettia rug in its new home     first residents, Rose & Reggie.jpg

• Like 1

The higher the count, the smaller and more detailed you can make the rug. I mostly stitch over one thread on 36-count and 40-count evenweave.

I have a needlework gallery here on the forum: https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/album/6292-mini-needlework/

Most of the entries include the dimensions and the thread count of the fabric I used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

There is no such thing as a silly/ dumb question if you have to ask.  TPI depends on scale; I showed picture of the rugs I stitched for the 1:24 Fairfields.  I used a close-weave linen for them.  I used 22 tpi aida and another linen in the high teens - 20s count for 1:12; it depends on the size and detail:

the poinsettia rug in its new home     first residents, Rose & Reggie.jpg

Thank you so much for always be so helpful! And I adore all the photos you share!!

2 hours ago, fov said:

The higher the count, the smaller and more detailed you can make the rug. I mostly stitch over one thread on 36-count and 40-count evenweave.

I have a needlework gallery here on the forum: https://forum.greenleafdollhouses.com/gallery/album/6292-mini-needlework/

Most of the entries include the dimensions and the thread count of the fabric I used.

Your album is so fun to go through - I noticed that you posted a tutorial on a braided rug that I can’t wait to try out!!

I simulate braided rugs by drawing my shape on a piece of felt.  Beginning in the middle with a 6-strand floss in my needle I chain-stitch around (or back & forth for a squared rug); just before the last row I cut out the rug from the rest of the felt and finish it off, running the needle under a few threads on the underside before cutting the floss (I don't use knots when I embroider).

KathieB's views:  the bar     KathieB's views:  the snug

I find it a lot easier to post pictures, when I have any, to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I simulate braided rugs by drawing my shape on a piece of felt.  Beginning in the middle with a 6-strand floss in my needle I chain-stitch around (or back & forth for a squared rug); just before the last row I cut out the rug from the rest of the felt and finish it off, running the needle under a few threads on the underside before cutting the floss (I don't use knots when I embroider).

KathieB's views:  the bar     KathieB's views:  the snug

I find it a lot easier to post pictures, when I have any, to illustrate what I'm trying to say.

when you say 'chain st' do you mean crochet chain stitch? or is there an embroidery stitch called chain stitch? 

There's a video on how to do the chain stitch in embroidery (which does look a lot like a crochet chain from the top).  You don't embroider?  See if your library has any books by Erica Wilson.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So glad to see this topic! I have never done needlepoint before and just bought this partially finished carpet on Craigslist. I hope to learn how to finish it so I can use it for one of my doll houses. It came with a needle and the wool needed for the kit . . . experienced needlepionters, do you think a newbie has a chance at finishing this pretty carpet? It is from a kit by Tidewater.

IMG_3101.jpeg

Just now, Tinyroomartist said:

So glad to see this topic! I have never done needlepoint before and just bought this partially finished carpet on Craigslist. I hope to learn how to finish it so I can use it for one of my doll houses. It came with a needle and the wool needed for the kit . . . experienced needlepionters, do you think a newbie has a chance at finishing this pretty carpet? It is from a kit by Tidewater.

IMG_3101.jpeg

Sorry - could not load both photos. in the same post (too big!) Has anyone else worked with the Tidewater kits? I feel lucky to have found one, especially since I would not have known how to get started.

IMG_3100.jpeg

Such teeny tiny stitches! Of course you can finish it, just might not be a quick process. If it was me, I'd get a little kit in big size to practice with, just to get a hang of doing the stitches - easier to see, easier to undo - then have a go on the mini carpet when you have a better feel for doing the stitches. 

• Like 1

What a pretty rug!  I haven't worked with any of the mini kits, just charts.  Of course you can do this, Diane!  I do recommend either a jeweler's loupe you can clip to your glasses earpiece, if you wear glasses, or else a magnifying visor (some of them come with built-in lights) to simplify seeing the threads and stitches.  Just pay attention to which way your stitches lie and keep them all going in the same direction.

• Like 1

Nice! It's great that the person who started it already did the big block of off-white in the center. That's the boring part. 😆

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fov said:

Nice! It's great that the person who started it already did the big block of off-white in the center. That's the boring part. 😆

I was thinking that too, why stop when you've finished the big bit?! Great find! 

• Like 1