Rik Pierce

WyckedWood

From Facebook post on his page:

"To all of our Friends in the Miniature World. We wanted to let you all know that Rik passed away peacefully at home yesterday. He was surrounded with his family.
We thank you for all of your support and friendships over the years. We love you all. "Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." - Rik Pierce 1940 - 1921"

This is how nice and down to earth Rik was: A friend of mine from high school worked for a carpet installation company in Portland. He happened to find himself one day putting in new carpets in Rik Pierces house in Vancouver WA. He had a long conversation with Rik about Riks past in art and how he got started etc. He allowed my friends little girl to come and visit the dollhouses- keep in mind this was a random carpet installer lol- my friend knew I was a dollhouse person and later told me about it and showed me photos of his little girl and Rik and the dollhouses.  
I had always wanted to take a class but back before Rik retired that was not in my budget. I did gain years of inspiration from studying his work in photos. And if you look through the old small stuff digest archives his advice and help and knowledge is still there to see. At least as long as the archives are viewable. 

As with the wonderful miniaturists I've been fortunate to meet in person, he was generous and sharing of his knowledge and experience, and will leave a gaping hole in all our hearts.

He truly was talented and generous. I was so so lucky to do his workshop in 2014 just before his accident and I have been so grateful I took that opportunity, not only because I learnt so much and got to spend time with him, but also because he was a big influence on me ditching my day job and taking up miniatures full time. We had dinner one night - Rik, Shellie (from Shellie’s Minis in San Carlos) and myself and my husband - and both Rik and Shellie gave so much encouragement and advice that I have never forgotten. They were so kind. And also fun. So many people out there will be so sad that he has passed, but he leaves a pretty hefty legacy. He won’t be forgotten.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No!  This is sad news indeed.  I'm glad I got to meet him in person at the Chicago show in 2013.  I remember him looking at my Tudor house and telling me that I was crazy.  Probably one of the best possible compliments from such a master miniature artist.  He will be missed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...