Dry fitting

justincayce12

I'm almost ready to start dry fitting. Just have to glue a couple more porch things and then that will be the next step.

I'm mildly terrified things are just going to come crashing around me. Any words of wisdom?

I'm also mildly terrified about the amount of flooring and wallpaper decisions I'm about to have to make. My house has 13 rooms. The bottom floor comes with a wood flooring kit and I'll use that, but that still leaves a lot of decisions to make before I can actually glue this thing together.

I have built countless dollhouses and always feel mildly terrified when I begin a new one. Sorry- that’s probably not helpful. One step at a time and make lots of lists! 

• Haha 1

Having had to abandon a partly decorated house in dry fit without notes, I definitely recommend make some notes, you can always edit them later. For me the 'building a dollhouse' is this bit, the dry fit, trying things out, figuring other things out, flooring, walls, windows, curtains.... Then when it's all about done, I assemble it and glue it, ready to be filled with furniture and accessories, and to be played with. So for me the most exciting bit is the dry fit decorating. And because it's not glued together yet, I can always easily change things if I change my mind.

So take your time and have fun, plan one room at a time, or do all the floors first, then all walls, then ceilings, windows, doors, etc. Or do all the floors, then change your mind and do it a room at a time, whatever suits your way of thinking! But don't need to be terrified, hopefully it'll be an enjoyable experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a hobby that's supposed to be fun and to relax the hobbyist and allow us to unshackle our imaginations and creativity.  There;s always the initial "OMG, what have I gotten myself into?" but that'll go away with a stiff adult beverage and/ or a hefty dose of really dark chocolate.  Make friends with the kit and encourage it to tell you what it wants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all! I made Mr. Cayce help with the dry fit, so that massive tower didn't come tumbling down. Pics in my gallery! I'm really excited with how it came out! Also it's very very huge. :fear:

I'll dry fit in the floors next and there's some porch work and trim painting/staining to catch up on. The instructions do tell how to do the lower floor hardwoods so I'll probably start there and then make some decisions about at least the kitchen and bathroom surfaces.

I usually paint my kitchen floors to look like linoleum (paint the floor one color and use an old toothbrush to spatter two different complementary colors over the dry base coat).  I "tile"my bathroom floors using paint sample chips and painting the floor a grout color.

56d51bfb1e535-1kitchen.JPG

farmhouse kitchen

finished stairrail & more kits

hacienda bathroom in shades of blue