Washington flooring: use the original floors?

Tinyroomartist

The Washington (original kit) has real wood floors which, in the case of the house I am working on, are in aged but usable shape. I like the aged look and in my research found that many mini-hobbiests (sp?) spend time aging new flooring to look like old flooring! The only thing I don't like is that the wood is in a single piece, not randomly cut slats as seen in my apartment and older homes.

Is there a way I can create the illusion that the original Washington floors are slatted floors or is my best option to cover the original floors with new floors made to look like old floors? That seems like a lot of work (and expense) when I already have wood floors! Same question for the porch floor. I like it but would like it to look like planked flooring. I wonder whether I can carefully score it somehow (without taking the house apart) to create a planked effect or perhaps draw shadow lines on it (scared to try!)

Has anyone tried this with any success? Or decided to give up on planked flooring and just place area rugs (lol!) as I've done that in real apartments when flooring was not exactly what I wanted. By the time a room is filled with rugs and furniture, the floor kind of fades into the background, right? Hilarious. Mini world and full size world have so much in common.

You can use a cork-backed metal ruler as a guide to scribe lines with the back of a utility knife. Or use a micro-tip marker to draw the lines.  Either method is effective. And once there are rugs and furniture in the room, it will look just fine.

• Like 1

I used the ruler/utility knife method to score 'planks" in one of my dollhouses.  Then I used a pencil to darken the lines and also to put in "nails."  It actually looks more realistic than you might think.

• Like 2

When you apply stain to the floors and let it "set" for a few minutes before wiping the floors with a soft rag the stain darkens the scribed lines.  I also use an awl to poke "nail" holes into the ends of the "boards" for extra effect.

• Like 1

Polished this floor with wax - it was stained by the previous owner. I am hoping I can still touch up the stain with the eco stain I bought for the baseboards to bring it out a bit in faded places but ok if not. It looks more perfect in photos than in person. I waxed it a while ago, before I realized I was not done with it, like a real 1920's house! The stain for the woodwork came today (www.ecospaint.net) and the sample is great. Ecos Paint sent enough sample stain to get a lot done and no smell at all! I am waiting for a back order of crown molding so I can stain that before installing it (after wallpaper, of course.) The far wall is faux sheet rocked with a large paint sample card from Glidden (free!) Prep work starting to pay off. Will have to rewire the house to locate fixtures where I want them. Considering going solar - saw a great YouTube about that. I am sure someone here has done it! :) Planning to build surrounds for the windows and doors. Deciding between purchased and homemade. Must admit the purchased baseboards rock.

IMG_3061.jpeg

Just now, Tinyroomartist said:

Polished this floor with wax - it was stained by the previous owner. I am hoping I can still touch up the stain with the eco stain I bought for the baseboards to bring it out a bit in faded places but ok if not. It looks more perfect in photos than in person. I waxed it a while ago, before I realized I was not done with it, like a real 1920's house! The stain for the woodwork came today (www.ecospaint.net) and the sample is great. Ecos Paint sent enough sample stain to get a lot done and no smell at all! I am waiting for a back order of crown molding so I can stain that before installing it (after wallpaper, of course.) The far wall is faux sheet rocked with a large paint sample card from Glidden (free!) Prep work starting to pay off. Will have to rewire the house to locate fixtures where I want them. Considering going solar - saw a great YouTube about that. I am sure someone here has done it! :) Planning to build surrounds for the windows and doors. Deciding between purchased and homemade. Must admit the purchased baseboards rock.

IMG_3061.jpeg

Floor is not scored yet.