Furniture kit score!

justincayce12

I found a Realife miniatures country kitchen kit and a Greenleaf 30 piece furniture kit on facebook marketplace and picked them up today. They were new - still had plastic wrap on! I paid $60 total. Not completely sure if it's a good deal, but I figure at less than $2 per piece, it's definitely less than I'd pay to buy new. Has anyone put these kits together?

IMG_2729.jpg

• Like 1

I put together a Realife Victorian parlor kit that I used in my Dura-Craft Cambridge. I have since acquired two other Realife sets I plan to build for future houses.  The miniature furniture kits are fairly easy to assemble, especially if you have a magnetic gluing jig:

craft sticks into store fixtures.jpg

From my personal experience let me suggest that if you plan to stain your furniture pieces, do so prior to assembly and let the stain dry thoroughly.  Stain does not cover glue.  I use pointed toothpicks to apply minute amounts of glue and a damp tissue to remove any unsightly drips.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I put together a Realife Victorian parlor kit that I used in my Dura-Craft Cambridge. I have since acquired two other Realife sets I plan to build for future houses.  The miniature furniture kits are fairly easy to assemble, especially if you have a magnetic gluing jig:

craft sticks into store fixtures.jpg

From my personal experience let me suggest that if you plan to stain your furniture pieces, do so prior to assembly and let the stain dry thoroughly.  Stain does not cover glue.  I use pointed toothpicks to apply minute amounts of glue and a damp tissue to remove any unsightly drips.

Thank you very much for the tips. I’m going to have to look into the magnetic jig! Will be sure to stain first too. 

I've made four of the Realife kits (but not the one you got) and I really liked them and liked the results.  You'll be fine.

P.S.  Holly is right about the staining first if you want a wood look, then gluing.  She is also right about the magnetic jig - although for many years I used lego blocks for right-angle corners.

Edited by jdodyd
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jdodyd said:

I've made four of the Realife kits (but not the one you got) and I really liked them and liked the results.  You'll be fine.

P.S.  Holly is right about the staining first if you want a wood look, then gluing.  She is also right about the magnetic jig - although for many years I used lego blocks for right-angle corners.

Legos are genius. We do have some of the chunky duplo ones and my toddler is too young to know I’m borrowing them haha