Question about roofing: slate, birch, cedar

Tinyroomartist

I haven't done asphalt shingles before, but I've used hot glue with wooden shingles and it dries fast. (It's the only thing I would use hot glue for!) It can be stringy, but it's also easy to pick the strings away once the glue hardens.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in your photo, but make sure your rows are offset from the row below it by the width of half a shingle. The edge of a shingle in one row should hit the center of the shingle in the row above it. It looks like you have them offset by the width of an entire shingle, which isn't going to look right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fov said:

I haven't done asphalt shingles before, but I've used hot glue with wooden shingles and it dries fast. (It's the only thing I would use hot glue for!) It can be stringy, but it's also easy to pick the strings away once the glue hardens.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing in your photo, but make sure your rows are offset from the row below it by the width of half a shingle. The edge of a shingle in one row should hit the center of the shingle in the row above it. It looks like you have them offset by the width of an entire shingle, which isn't going to look right.

Wow! You are right! I was offsetting by one whole shingle, not half a shingle. You just saved me! Thank you. Hopefully I can hide the error and at least the entire roof won't be ruined. 

Do you think hot glue would work? Can't hurt to try. I have a glue gun. Thanks so much for. helping me out.

3 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Wow! You are right! I was offsetting by one whole shingle, not half a shingle. You just saved me! Thank you. Hopefully I can hide the error and at least the entire roof won't be ruined. 

Do you think hot glue would work? Can't hurt to try. I have a glue gun. Thanks so much for. helping me out.

I found this video which recommends tacky glue. But the shingles don't look like mine, which have an entire shingle space between shingles, not a narrow line. I'm confused about the staggering now.

You want the "line" of the joining of two shingles on the row above to fall in the middle of the whole shingle on the next row down; on the next row up the middle of a shingle will fall on the "line"between the shingles below:

585a99fd004a4-farmhouseattic.JPG

If you put a whole shingle at the start of your first row across, start the next row up with a shingle cut in half vertically and continue your shingles on across like that; every row that starts with a whole shingle will have a row starting with a half shingle above it, and when you're done your shingles will be staggered.

Edited by havanaholly

Hi again! This is what the strip of Alessio Miniatures asphalt shingles looks like. I am not sure how to stagger (offset) them. One shingle space or 1/2 shingle space? Help much appreciated. I got lucky and was able to remove the ones I applied so I can start over! Thanks all.

IMG_3356.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Hi again! This is what the strip of Alessio Miniatures asphalt shingles looks like. I am not sure how to stagger (offset) them. One shingle space or 1/2 shingle space? Help much appreciated. I got lucky and was able to remove the ones I applied so I can start over! Thanks all.

Not sure if you can follow my diagram. Imagine the yellow and red layers as solid. Red on top, yellow next, asphalt below yellow, and a strip without tabs on the very bottom edge of the roof. Cut the tabs off for this first row to serve as a base for building up the rest.

Experiment by laying out several strips -- basically dry fitting the shingles -- before you start gluing.

shingles.jpeg

That doesn't look right to me. With that layout you end up with what looks like a very long shingle in every other space.

I've never seen shingle strips with such a big gap between them...

Okay, did a little Googling, and I think what you have are "decorative" asphalt shingles in the Architectural style.

alessio-shingles.jpg

Here's Alessio's asphalt shingle page: https://alessiominiatures.com/asphalt.html -- scroll down a bit to see the architectural style, or here's the picture.

architectural.jpg

They're not offset at all. But I'm not sure how they laid them out to make them look like this. Might be worth sending them an email to ask how they're supposed to be used. The instructions on their page say to offset by half a shingle width but clearly that's not how these were done. (Maybe the second row is directly on top of the first row, but shifted by one shingle width? But wouldn't that get really bulky?)

5 hours ago, fov said:

Okay, did a little Googling, and I think what you have are "decorative" asphalt shingles in the Architectural style.

alessio-shingles.jpg

Here's Alessio's asphalt shingle page: https://alessiominiatures.com/asphalt.html -- scroll down a bit to see the architectural style, or here's the picture.

architectural.jpg

They're not offset at all. But I'm not sure how they laid them out to make them look like this. Might be worth sending them an email to ask how they're supposed to be used. The instructions on their page say to offset by half a shingle width but clearly that's not how these were done. (Maybe the second row is directly on top of the first row, but shifted by one shingle width? But wouldn't that get really bulky?)

Glad it isn't me! That is the look I wanted and why I bought these. What a puzzle!

Google for images of Architectural Shingles. They have a very different look than regular asphalt shingles. They still need to be staggered, but they also need asphalt beneath them or your roof would show through. That is why there is such a large width of asphalt at the top of each of your strips.

On the bottom row, along the roof edge, you need to cut off all those little tabs/shingles so that you start your first row with a long strip of non-separated asphalt. After that, lay one strip so the shingles overlay that strip. The next strip up has the shingles overlaying the long piece of asphalt but NOT the individual shingles of the strip below it.

I doubt my explanation makes sense so I did two mock-ups. The first I separated the strips and put a red background behind them so you can see the layout better.

The second is joined, and how I believe those are supposed to look.

Alessio Asphalt Shingles - SEPARATED.jpg

Alessio Asphalt Shingles - JOINED.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kells said:

Google for images of Architectural Shingles. They have a very different look than regular asphalt shingles. They still need to be staggered, but they also need asphalt beneath them or your roof would show through. That is why there is such a large width of asphalt at the top of each of your strips.

On the bottom row, along the roof edge, you need to cut off all those little tabs/shingles so that you start your first row with a long strip of non-separated asphalt. After that, lay one strip so the shingles overlay that strip. The next strip up has the shingles overlaying the long piece of asphalt but NOT the individual shingles of the strip below it.

I doubt my explanation makes sense so I did two mock-ups. The first I separated the strips and put a red background behind them so you can see the layout better.

The second is joined, and how I believe those are supposed to look.

Alessio Asphalt Shingles - SEPARATED.jpg

Alessio Asphalt Shingles - JOINED.jpg

Thank you! I am truly floored! This forum has the most caring and helpful people anywhere! I cannot believe anyone cares so much about my projects. I'm going to work on the roof tomorrow now that I know what to do! Many thanks to everyone who researched this. I hope others will learn from it, too.