Question about roofing: slate, birch, cedar

Tinyroomartist

Hi! I am considering roofing options for The Washington. Fun! Want a grey color and something with a vintage look. Feeling unsure about the Greenleaf birch shingles I bought - they look too smooth somehow. The French mansion I have has what I think are rough cedar shingles and I like them better. They look old and weathered not just in color but also in texture. I'm considering real slate, somehow roughing up the birch (a lot of work?) or finding rough cedar.

Saw this on Ebay but it says it is 1:24, not 1:12.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slate-roofing-tiles-1-24-scale-500-ct/264090795688

What do more experienced mini artists have to say about the roofing choices you have made? What worked out for you and what did not? I think I figured out that I need 464 square inches (plus more for errors) of shingles for the house - does that seem right?

Staying clear of cardboard unless there is a way to treat it for longevity. I saw what the decades did to the house and I'm trying really hard to finish it in a solid way this time. I sealed all exposed edges with wood glue, applied joint compound over that to smooth out rough edges, applied fresh paint everywhere I can reach - I'm hoping this house will be super solid as well as attractive by the time I am done.

Is real slate too heavy for this type of house? I thought perhaps I could simulate it by using grey chalk paint on the wood shingles but the texture would need to be changed using a thick medium of some sort - more fun hours ahead if I choose that option.

Thoughts and experience most welcome!

IMG_3033.JPG.jpeg

63892438026__3F4D6D9C-D63D-4759-90A0-90145097B8A9.jpeg

This is going to sound crazy, and I've never done it so I can't guarantee how it would work... but could you "batch weather" them? Like put the cedar shingles in a big box with some sandpaper or other things to beat them up a little, and shake it all around? Then you would get some chips, etc. You could even splatter some paint in there and see how it mixes around and gets on the other shingles. I don't know... definitely feel free to ignore me since that would be pretty experimental.

3 minutes ago, justincayce12 said:

This is going to sound crazy, and I've never done it so I can't guarantee how it would work... but could you "batch weather" them? Like put the cedar shingles in a big box with some sandpaper or other things to beat them up a little, and shake it all around? Then you would get some chips, etc. You could even splatter some paint in there and see how it mixes around and gets on the other shingles. I don't know... definitely feel free to ignore me since that would be pretty experimental.

Not a bad idea. I was looking at everything from applying gel medium to them to aging them as one does to make faux barn wood. Do you think a wood look is the right answer for this house or stone (slate) for the roof? I have never owned a home - lol - so I'm learning a lot about how houses are made from all this. I know I can do whatever I want but I want the house to make some sort of sense. I could thatch the roof but that would not fit! I want to be true to the house. So what would a house such as this one likely have? I am figuring it was built in the Northeast U.S. There is a lot of slate up around. A lot of wood, too. :)

2 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Not a bad idea. I was looking at everything from applying gel medium to them to aging them as one does to make faux barn wood. Do you think a wood look is the right answer for this house or stone (slate) for the roof? I have never owned a home - lol - so I'm learning a lot about how houses are made from all this. I know I can do whatever I want but I want the house to make some sort of sense. I could thatch the roof but that would not fit! I want to be true to the house. So what would a house such as this one likely have? I am figuring it was built in the Northeast U.S. There is a lot of slate up around. A lot of wood, too. :)

Well your house has clapboard siding and wood trim around the windows, so I'd be inclined to go the wood roofing route for texture consistency... but it is ultimately up to you! I'm big on accuracy as well - I don't want to do something to my dollhouse that isn't done on real houses. Maybe you could do searches for homes with siding and slate roofs, to see what that looks like visually, or if it's "not done", etc etc.

I painted my shingles before attaching them, then touched them up. I would try to get the overall base color on first, and then add any colored weathering and moss (I do love that moss!) once your shingles are glued on. 

37 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Does anyone know whether the shingles were applied to the roof before or after being painted? In other words, does one paint the shingles before applying to the roof or after? 

Either way. Painting them individually seems like a pain to me, but some folks like the zen-like quality of the repetition.

One thing that should be done in either case is to paint the roof the color of the shingles before gluing the shingles on. There are bound to be come teensy spaces between shingles here and there where the raw wood color of the underroof will shine through. Very hard to get paint to, and especially noticeable in photos. Don't ask me how I know this. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KathieB said:

Either way. Painting them individually seems like a pain to me, but some folks like the zen-like quality of the repetition.

One thing that should be done in either case is to paint the roof the color of the shingles before gluing the shingles on. There are bound to be come teensy spaces between shingles here and there where the raw wood color of the underroof will shine through. Very hard to get paint to, and especially noticeable in photos. Don't ask me how I know this. :D 

Ooh that is a great point, Kathie. I have already experienced this and I was definitely blobbing paint into little holes :oops:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Just saw this post:

Does anyone know whether the shingles were applied to the roof before or after being painted? In other words, does one paint the shingles before applying to the roof or after? This house looks fantastic! Awesome!

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I paint my shingles first. I wanted a slate look using the speed shingle strips and I wanted varying colors like a real slate roof, so I used gel medium and several shades of grey and grey green. I paint the roof surface first as KathieB described, and use E6000 to apply the shingle strips and avoid avoid warping. I usually use a box top or flat box to hold the shingle strips. I use masking tape reversed in long strips with parchment paper underneath so that the shingles don’t stick. The tape helps hold them while I slather paint on them. :) They warp while painting, but flatten back out as they dry. After they are applied to the roof I used chalk pastels to deepen and enhance colors. Do some tests! Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dalesq said:

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I paint my shingles first. I wanted a slate look using the speed shingle strips and I wanted varying colors like a real slate roof, so I used gel medium and several shades of grey and grey green. I paint the roof surface first as KathieB described, and use E6000 to apply the shingle strips and avoid avoid warping. I usually use a box top or flat box to hold the shingle strips. I use masking tape reversed in long strips with parchment paper underneath so that the shingles don’t stick. The tape helps hold them while I slather paint on them. :) They warp while painting, but flatten back out as they dry. After they are applied to the roof I used chalk pastels to deepen and enhance colors. Do some tests! Have fun!

Thank you for the detailed description of how you accomplished your fine work. Much appreciated! I used Zap a Gap to glue the clapboard to avoid warping but the strips did warp during the painting process (I painted them before applying them to the house and painted both sides to try to minimize warping - still it happened a bit.) It is ok, as the house's "story" is that it is an old house owned by an equally elderly guy who maintains it but not to perfections. This, of course, gives me room for errors because I can blame them on poor Mo! He tries and I do, too. His eyesight isn't great and mine isn't either so we are muddling through. I have to say that during these odd pandemic times, it is nice to be able to indulge one's self in mini world! Will get hold of some gel medium and see how it goes. Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Any thoughts on using real slate? Thanks!

Some people want the “real” thing. Just be aware that it is heavier. My feelings about materials is to use what works for you because it’s all illusion anyway. Sometimes the “real” thing, while great, has features that make it jar visually because it’s not to scale. So go with what you feel is right and enjoy the process!

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who is helping! So awesome that you are interested and I truly appreciate it. I am wondering what is historically appropriate for the house, which (I think) is farmhouse style? Found this photo and am curious. The shingles seem so much smaller than the ones sold by Greenleaf. What kind are they? I live in an apartment and have never shopped for real shingles! Lol.

Farmhouse.jpeg

4 hours ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Any thoughts on using real slate? Thanks!

Denise (Sable) has used real slate. You might send her a PM to ask her experience. I believe she orders the slate from the UK.

• Like 1

I used black construction paper  and tore slightly smaller bits to glue to the shingle strips to texture them, and used chalk pastels sparingly to get the color effects I wanted for slate, and it looked really good at first.  After a few years of sitting in the livingroom of our house at the time, the reflected UV sunlight bleached all the black out of the construction paper, turning it golden brown:

blog-241-1126380907_thumb.jpg   dressing the Glencroft pub

I have since repainted the roof a dark slate color, and it looks MUCH better, but I lost the detailing of the chalk pastels.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Thanks to everyone who is helping! So awesome that you are interested and I truly appreciate it. I am wondering what is historically appropriate for the house, which (I think) is farmhouse style? Found this photo and am curious. The shingles seem so much smaller than the ones sold by Greenleaf. What kind are they? I live in an apartment and have never shopped for real shingles! Lol.

Farmhouse.jpeg

Asphalt shingles. You can usually find them in rolls.

• Like 1

Wow! I am noticing that the style of the houses with slate roofs are very different from The Washington. Is an asphalt roof more appropriate for a farmhouse such as The Washington? I know I can do whatever I want but I am imagining the house in upstate New York and holding true to an old house in an old town up there -

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's YOUR house, Diane.  You go with what it tells you it wants.

Thanks, Holly. I am so grateful to everyone for answering questions and for being interested! I finally pulled the trigger and ordered asphalt shingles. Now I have cedar ones leftover that I purchased intending to use them . . . on the fence about selling them to someone or keeping them for a future project. I'm planning to build a cottage from a vintage kit my mom and I have kept for decades but might create a thatched roof for it instead. I have no idea how all of you manage to decide these things when there are so many great ideas to choose from but it sure it fun!

17 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

...I have no idea how all of you manage to decide these things when there are so many great ideas to choose from but it sure it fun!

I go with what the house tells me it wants.  I used sandpaper for "asphalt" shingles on my Washington and Greenleaf's wood shingles on the attic exterior:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I go with what the house tells me it wants.  I used sandpaper for "asphalt" shingles on my Washington and Greenleaf's wood shingles on the attic exterior:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

Your Washington looks so amazing. I love your creative solutions! I wound up buying asphalt because I wanted grey asphalt and, to be entirely honest, after sanding and compounding the railing for literally days on end, did not have the patience to make shingles, too. The railing was literally graham cracker-like when viewed from the side and paint just sank into the wood. I sealed each slat with glue along the narrow edge, then sanded each and every one, followed by layer after layer of super thin joint compound, sanding between each layer. The result was not perfect but so much better! I also had to smooth out the wide surface of the slats. That does not even start to address what was needed on the bay window. It was a lot of fun but I'm eager to get inside again! Lol.

• 3 months later...

I finally made a decision and purchased asphalt shingles from Alessio Miniatures I am using E6000 glue to attach them to the roof of the Washington, which I painted before attempting this. But I am not liking the process.

1. I am a klutz with the glue. It is stringy coming out of the tube and gets all over the place no matter how careful I am. I am wearing gloves but I don't want glue where it does not belong on the house.

2. The glue takes forever to set. There are many strips to apply, which all of you know. (This my first time!) I am clearly going about this incorrectly, as at this rate it will take forever. I'd like each row to be at least somewhat secure before putting the next one down to avoid dislodging previous work.

3. The strips are not staying entirely flat. How do I keep them down during the setting process?

4. I am tempted to forget E6000 and just use Loctite. It sets almost right away, does not smell at all and I would be able to lay rows down fast.

Thoughts?

IMG_3354.jpeg

I use Titebond Wood Glue for practically everything. It's easy to use, easy to clean up, and it adheres basically forever. What you're gluing - asphalt shingles - may not be wood, but you're gluing them onto wood. For shingling I've used it for slate, asphalt, and wood, but also on egg carton stone, brick slips, and a host of other things. None of those things have budged a bit or loosened in years. Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue also works well.

• Like 2

I also use Titebond.  I cut coarse sandpaper into shingles because it's easier to handle than mini asphalt and look similar when done.  If I lay a sheet of waxed paper over  rew rows of shingles and clamp a piece of scrap wood over that my shingle dry nice & flat.

• Like 2