Jump to content

Faux grass


AmandaJC
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

What do you use for faux grass or dirt? Something that isn't messy or leaves little bits around that a puppy would snarfle up. (We just got a little one.) I've used sample squares/pieces of indoor/outdoor carpeting from Lowes, but looking for other options. 

Thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used the model railroad "grass" to landscape a couple of builds and I painted the farm house's yard.  Some people have started with terrycloth and dry brushed other shades of green, brown & yellow to make it more like real grass.  With a new puppy you might want to wait to see how much of the house he tries to eat/ reduce to splinters before landscaping it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

 With a new puppy you might want to wait to see how much of the house he tries to eat/ reduce to splinters before landscaping it.

So far so good on that front. Hoping he doesn't destroy any of my houses!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure it isn't puppy-proof, but a great "recipe" for 12th scale dirt/soil is a mixture of Woodland Scenics dark brown ballast (fine) https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BAL-DB mixed with an equal part of soil turf (fine) https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/FT-S. It's quite effective and realistic looking. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IndyCindy said:

I'm sure it isn't puppy-proof, but a great "recipe" for 12th scale dirt/soil is a mixture of Woodland Scenics dark brown ballast (fine) https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/BAL-DB mixed with an equal part of soil turf (fine) https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/FT-S. It's quite effective and realistic looking. 

That's great- thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 11:35 AM, AmandaJC said:

Hi all,

What do you use for faux grass or dirt? Something that isn't messy or leaves little bits around that a puppy would snarfle up. (We just got a little one.) I've used sample squares/pieces of indoor/outdoor carpeting from Lowes, but looking for other options. 

Thanks! 

oh!! you aren't really looking for earthy dirt like stuff now that i re-read your request. I highly recommend grass mats from the train guys. Comes in a big roll, nothing is going to come off - you can always patch it up with extra. Yeah - grass mat for durability.

https://www.sceneryexpress.com/Heki/products/1053/

https://www.sceneryexpress.com/Noch/products/1052/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...