6 minutes ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

Fingers crossed that I will eventually figure it out

You will. Your fingers will learn to judge the tension with practice, so the agony of each stitch will lessen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we lived in Havana, FL, I had a Pierce that had been built with hot glue and no stairs, so I took the hub's heat gun in hand and took the poor baby all apart.  I used my Dremel Trio to cut whacki

The owners will  be the Smalls:      Mr Samuel Small, PhD is a Professor of Oriental Studies at Howard University; his hobbies include playing Scott Joplin rags on the family piano and travel

My first build - the Orchid model - is coming along! I have been having a ball with the walls, I could seriously spend HOURS making them look moldy and decrepit. I know that I am still early in the pr

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

.... the agony of each stitch will lessen.

that is good to know because holy heck it gets exhausting to worry about each stitch!!

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It's called "muscle memory"; I learned about it when I learned to fire a pistol.

sometimes I feel liking shooting the needlework ... is that what you are referring to? LOL 

3 hours ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

sometimes I feel liking shooting the needlework ... is that what you are referring to? LOL 

No, the hubs wanted me to learn to fire a pistol and gun safety.  My maternal grandmother was a needlewoman whose own mother was a sempstress, so I sort of grew up with needles and hooks.

• Like 1

need to take some pictures but a few updates: 

• I have given up on making the small space under the stairs into a kitchen. It is just too awkward. I have gone through and laid out high level how all the rooms will be laid out so that feels good. Really itching to work on the house more as I have been working on dollhouse accessories for the past two weeks 
  • Love micro crochet - who am I anymore? Based off some stalking of @havanaholly's posts I have thread and the smallest crochet hook imaginable (size 12). I am *so close* to being done with an afghan that is created with thin speciality embroidery floss that is working up to look scaled with 'bulky yarn' so I am excited to finish that up and dig into micro crochet with ... sewing thread 
  • I enjoy needlepoint - but holy man I have no idea what I am doing. I had to take a step back (and away) from doing it at such a tiny scale and am now working on a full-scale piece as I really need to figure out how to do needlepoint, and hopefully gain some mastery of it, prior to me whipping out an entire carpet LOL 

Wish the weekends were longer! 

Actually for mini crochet steel hooks down to size 16 work well with fine sewing threads.  One of our members made the 1:24 tablecloth and buffet scarf:

diningroom.JPG

Doing 1:1 needlepoint and making sure all your stitches go the same way is great preparation for stitching in mini.  You might also want to check your library for needlecraft books showing how to do a variety of needlepoint stitches.  Mini bargello is also lots of fun:

KathieB's Maggie photos:  The living room

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Doing 1:1 needlepoint and making sure all your stitches go the same way is great preparation for stitching in mini.  You might also want to check your library for needlecraft books showing how to do a variety of needlepoint stitches.  

Yes! it is crazy how hard it is to get all the stitches going the same direction.... for whatever reason I keep switching it up. Since what I am working on is actually cross stitch it isn't a big deal but I am trying to do everything the same direction.  Good news - my tension is already improving loads! 

I have been finding some great tips on Pinterest - our local library is still closed currently

Do you do each cross one at a time or do lots of diagonal in a row and then cross them all in a row? I learnt a cross at a time, so do that. 

Our libraries have been open with plexi shields at the desk, enforced social distancing, and you don't go in without a mask on.  I also find a lot of my needlecraft books at thrift stores. 

Muriel, I work in rows of colors.  For me it's a matter of muscle memory to get all the stitches going the same way.  After frogging may rows and restitching them, I work lower left, up; upper right, down; without even thinking about it.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Muriel, I work in rows of colors.  For me it's a matter of muscle memory to get all the stitches going the same way.  After frogging may rows and restitching them, I work lower left, up; upper right, down; without even thinking about it.

oh that makes so much sense!! I have been wondering how everyone knows how to frog needlepoint! 

1 hour ago, Muriel said:

Do you do each cross one at a time or do lots of diagonal in a row and then cross them all in a row? I learnt a cross at a time, so do that. 

I am figuring out what feels more natural to me - I think that doing it one cross at a time is where I am going as well LOL