Painting shingles?

justincayce12

I usually paint my shingles once they're on the house (very carefully, so's I don't drip paint onto the rest of the house).  I would only paint one side, for two reasons:  the glue may cause them to warp a wee bit, but I have found that the shingles flatten back out as they dry and bare wood sticks a whole lot better to bare wood.  Do use a good carpenter;s wood glue to assemble your kit, NOT EVER hot glue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I usually paint my shingles once they're on the house (very carefully, so's I don't drip paint onto the rest of the house).  I would only paint one side, for two reasons:  the glue may cause them to warp a wee bit, but I have found that the shingles flatten back out as they dry and bare wood sticks a whole lot better to bare wood.  Do use a good carpenter;s wood glue to assemble your kit, NOT EVER hot glue!

Thanks! That definitely saves me some work. I’m using elmer’s wood glue, and I just bought a tube of gorilla wood glue. It’s worked well for the siding so far. 

On 4/7/2021 at 7:32 AM, havanaholly said:

I finished up the gables! Good call on only painting one side - they glued nicely and didn't warp at all. Really really pleased with how they turned out. Picture in my gallery! :)

So glad to see this! Will begin putting shingles on soon and was thinking of painting the shingles before putting them on the house, as I did with the clapboard. Definitely will not do that! This will save a ton of work, thanks to both of you. Looking forward to seeing Cayce's house!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tinyroomartist said:

So glad to see this! Will begin putting shingles on soon and was thinking of painting the shingles before putting them on the house, as I did with the clapboard. Definitely will not do that! This will save a ton of work, thanks to both of you. Looking forward to seeing Cayce's house!

I did paint mine, but only one side. I set them up on masking tape so they would stay put while I painted. I did touch them up after gluing to the gables. I am no expert though, and this is my first house, so take that with a grain of salt. It working for me could be beginners’ luck!

• Like 1