Laser cut card shingles

Thimble Hall

I am uncovering so much stuff I bought a couple of years ago that I had forgotten I had. Today I found several packets of 1/24 scale laser cut scalloped shingles made out of thin card. They are very neat and well made but I know nothing about them. Can they be painted, stained ??  Thay are actually wood colored as is but may need sealing or something.They are meant to be layed in sheets.

I'm not sure how card takes stain, I guess it depends on the wood/s and process that went into producing the card.  If you want them another color I'd recommend practicing on any scrap or a selected "volunteer".  I would work in strips from the roof's edge up (which I didn't do when I shingled my Fairfields and have been kicking myself for ever since), gluing a row down and then painting/ washing. staining; then the next row, etc.

Gypsy Soul uses a brown craft board. It’s like a heavy card stock. It does take stain well, but as Holly said, try it on a small scrap. I’ve used several of their products bought through Alpha Stamps, and they take paint well too.

I always paint or stain my shingle strips ahead of time. They curl, but are easily flattened out later. It makes application go more quickly. I also paint the roof surface first. I use E6000 to apply the strips. Water based glues cause all kinds of warping. If you use E6000 just be sure to do so in a well ventilated area.

Thank you, I mus have bought them when collecting Fairfield stuff, would you use them on that house.I am not committed, so if there is something you would specifically suggest I would be grateful. I just located all the Victorian trims I bought from your link, some went in my Gypsy caravan but thanks to the new info I connected with the maker and have bought more.

Now if I can just get that kitchen color scheme sorted out in my head I will be well on my way. My brain is still stuck with the plan I had round a white kitchen which I couldn't get and it won't move on because the pieces are dark..I wanted a  pale blues, creams and  white floor with tiles which was the colors of my first kitchen,but that won;t go now.I am thinking  traracotta, dark blue and some white,  but my brain will not cooperate..

I also used the shingles that came with the Fairfield, they're nice quality. If your laser cut shingles are fishscales they might look good on the side of the house.

I made these out of cardstock so they're not exactly the same, but to give you an idea:

fishscales06.jpg