Howdy all!

Just getting into my first dollhouse - Orchid model. So far I am loving how I can combine so many different methods to do so many fun things! Currently work as a project manager at an IT company so this is becoming my creative outlet. 

I have only done the windows so far - which I wound up doing all of them custom so they could look like old stained glass and I wanted a spider motif for the front door and big bedroom window. I have a loose 'story' of the house - and old creepy, spooky house that is lived in but falling apart.

Trying to not overplan as I want to enjoy and play with different ideas. 

Was for sure inspired by Southern Gothic Dollhouse on instagram

Trying to not worry that my house won't look as awesome LOL (seriously how is everyone so amazing right away?) 

1 hour ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

Trying to not worry that my house won't look as awesome LOL (seriously how is everyone so amazing right away?) 

Hi, Christina. Welcome to the forum! :chat:  Your house will look awesome. You don't notice the little glitches in the work of others that they agonize over, and they won't notice the little hiccups in yours, even if they're making you crazy. I'm not sure why that is, but trust me -- it's the truth! :D 

33 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Hi, Christina. Welcome to the forum! :chat:  Your house will look awesome. You don't notice the little glitches in the work of others that they agonize over, and they won't notice the little hiccups in yours, even if they're making you crazy. I'm not sure why that is, but trust me -- it's the truth! :D 

Thank you! I am hoping so - I am having a lot of fun playing around with the different materials and am excited to see how the house will actually shape up!! 

4 minutes ago, Muriel said:

Playing around is the best I think, such fun! How did you do your stained glass? Welcome! :)

Yes - playing around is awesome!

I used some transparent sheets that were on clearance at Michaels and cut them to size using the windows that the kit provided as a template. Added a few drops of color to clear glue, and based off some Pinterest inspiration and just playing around I painted all the windows. I had to go layer by layer, starting with the black outline first, then going color by color (I only used green and white so I would bounce between the two) until it was built up enough (two coats), and finished the design with one more black outline coat (so it will theoretically look the same on both sides).  

Then I used some acrylic poly-something-or-other that I had laying around to create more texture on the glass so it looks like old glass instead of the smooth texture. I did one light layer on each side. 

I just glued them into the frames and am excited to finally move onto other items. It took an entire week to do just the windows because I had to let everything dry between coats and I work full time LOL.

Next up is the walls - already playing with spackle (sp?) to imitate old plaster

Great job, one more post and you can create an album, and so looking forward to seeing the windows! 

I went to the diy store here for 3 things, paint to match my Fairfield, a shelf for my RL garden, and wood filler to fill gaps in the dollhouse. I forgot the wood filler, didn't have a shelf, but did get the paint. Wanted the wood filler for furniture gaps too, so frustrated I forgot it! Knew I was forgetting something, but just couldn't figure out what :p 

1 hour ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

...already playing with spackle (sp?) to imitate old plaster

I am the queen of spackle; with it I have done plaster, stucco, stonework and parget; you can also use joint compound or drywall mud.

Welcome Christina,

Your house sounds like so much fun.

I follow Southern Gothic on Instagram too....She has made an awesome but semi-disturbing creation that I can't stop gawking at. That bed pan was the best!

I can't wait to see what you do. Remember to enjoy the build, and not stress about mishaps.

14 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I follow Southern Gothic on Instagram too....She has made an awesome but semi-disturbing creation that I can't stop gawking at. That bed pan was the best!

Oh her fridge is goals!! Her floors are so beautiful as well - I am hopeful that I will be able to learn enough to make some fun floors as well :D 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Muriel said:

Great job, one more post and you can create an album, and so looking forward to seeing the windows! 

I went to the diy store here for 3 things, paint to match my Fairfield, a shelf for my RL garden, and wood filler to fill gaps in the dollhouse. I forgot the wood filler, didn't have a shelf, but did get the paint. Wanted the wood filler for furniture gaps too, so frustrated I forgot it! Knew I was forgetting something, but just couldn't figure out what :p 

that is the worst! I had to download an app because i am so horrible at forgetting things LOL

I feel like I am running to the store every other day because I find out that I need something or other - but I think that is due to the fact that I am a newbie and am learning as I go hahaha

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I am the queen of spackle; with it I have done plaster, stucco, stonework and parget; you can also use joint compound or drywall mud.

Had to look up parget - so fun!

If you mix a few drops of paint color in spackle, does it change how it sets? Or do you think it would work?

Does joint compound or drywall mud replace spackle? or is it good for some things over spackle? 

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know anyone who is into dollhouses/miniatures so I feel like I am flying a little blind 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spooky Squirrel said:

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know anyone who is into dollhouses/miniatures so I feel like I am flying a little blind 

well you've hit the jackpot here!  I think I saw your post about the stained glass on IG...if those windows are yours, they are spectacular!

What part of the world are you in? I bet there's someone nearby that is also loving miniatures!  You'd be amazed!  Welcome and can't wait to see your progress!

I made parget a hyperlink in my post, that's why it was underlined.  I have used joint compound and drywall mud for stucco and plaster; I haven't done the other treatments in a while.  I use sandpaper for brickwork.