Back in the Day

Medieval

The sounds of home dollhouse for $800 got me thinking to my toys back in the day. I wish I still had this one:

My gram bought me a Barbie sized doll that when you rotated her arm around one way she would get taller and grow a bust. When you rotated it the other way she would shrink and her bust would disappear. I was 9-10 and thought it was the most awesome thing in the world. My mother had a fit, so it was something that stayed at gram's house. Guess where my favorite hangout was? Dollhouse building, crocheting and knitting, sewing. And puberty dolls. Who could compete with that?! I really miss my gram, and I think about her a lot when I work on my house. She's been gone 33 years.

rsz_screenshot_20210330-200827.jpg

Edited by Medieval
Found it!

Back when our boys were small we used to get the Creative Playthings catalog and I lusted for (but couldn't afford) the Sasha & Gregor dolls.  Now they're collector items and I still can't afford them!

16 hours ago, Medieval said:

What's a Vac u Form?

It is a Mattel toy similar to the thingmaker, except it was a mini vacuum former. They had molds like cars and boats that you could form the plastic around.

The old commercial - only about 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCvgvWiZNe8

Wow! I didn't know about those! Those days had cool stuff...until people decided it was too dangerous for kids most likely. And you could get cool stuff for free by mailing in a certain amount of proof of purchase. Now a days I don't think cracker jack even includes cheesy tattoos anymore. I guess it's just happy meal toys....

• 2 weeks later...

I never owned a Barbie..not quite sure why. I loved microscopes and scientifiic things. I was fascinated  by how the microscope could take me into a tiny world. I remember dolls and dolls prams, I had a small but identical copy of a grownup coach built babies pram, they are deifinately collectible now. I also loved fabrics as a child, I was fascinated but the feel of different ones.. I got a decent sewing machine quite early on, not a toy thank goodnss as they were useless, it was a treadle. I had it for many years, it crossed the Atlantic with me.