Hi All,

Thought I'd just pop this in here in case anyone is interested.  HBS and D Thomas Miniatures have put together a Meet the Miniaturist Winners Edition online zoom interview.  You need to go here to register:  https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_skHIL-JuTAa1790ptqQhOw 

You can find out more from here:  https://www.dthomasfineminiatures.com/so/67NX1a5A7?languageTag=en#/main

This will be the first time I have taken part in anything like this!  It's slightly nerve wracking however I have talked with Darren Scala and he immediately put me at ease.  So come along and watch Gina, Meghan and I as we talk about our winning HBS Creatin Contest entries. :D

meet the miniaturist.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tigpuppy said:

WOW!  Congrats!

Thanks Bethany!!!!

1 hour ago, Mineejv said:

I’ve been getting his emails for the past few months.....I can’t wait to see all the Interviews...  you’ll do great....

Thanks Joanne!  I'm going last so at least I can see how the other's go before I have to step up!  Darren is a really lovely guy - he's easy to chat to so I'm not feeling toooooo nervous......

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

I registered!  Looking forward to HEAR you rather than READ you! Lol!

Excellent Jess!!!  I hope everyone can understand my Kiwi accent!!

6 hours ago, KatFord said:

So exciting! Congratulations! 

Thanks Kim!!!!

31 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

Really excited for all of you! Congratulations!

You have been so amazingly supportive of me lately Debora!!!!!  Don't think I don't notice - I most certainly do and I am so extremely thankful. :cheer:You've been so fantastic thank you!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm too technologically impaired to Zoom, but oh, so good on you!  (and well deserved)

Thank you Holly!  I'm pretty technologically impaired as well so I'm really hoping I manage to get onto the platform properly and in time! :D

You highlight the url when you watch the You Tube and right click on the highlight and click "Copy".  When you come back here to this topic to post the link you right click and click on "Paste" to put the link in your post.

That was AWESOME, @Shareb! I asked a question but it didn't get read. How did you make all the blown in dried leaves heaped up everywhere? I am so happy for you. You definitely blew your competition away!

• Like 1

Rebecca - your online interview was great! It was so enjoyable to hear you talk about your entry and to see the videos. The online pictures and photo in the most recent catalog didn't even begin to showcase how incredible your creation was! Congratulations! You are a true artist! 

• Like 1
Just now, Medieval said:

That was AWESOME, @Shareb

Absolutely the best interview, and also the best video. I kept wishing somebody had told the other two that to make a moving picture does not mean waving the camera around. I loved the interior details as well as the fantastic landscaping.

• Like 1

Eeekkkk!!!  Lol - thank you so much all!  I was running on adrenaline and was so worried people wouldn't be able to understand me.

1 hour ago, Medieval said:

That was AWESOME, @Shareb! I asked a question but it didn't get read. How did you make all the blown in dried leaves heaped up everywhere? I am so happy for you. You definitely blew your competition away!

Thank you so much Jess!  I actually cut the leaves using a punch and real leaves!  I covered them in linseed oil first which apparently helps to maintain the colour.  To get the piles I added a little mod podge to the leaves and stirred them around until I got the look.  Then just let them dry before placing them.

1 hour ago, IndyCindy said:

Rebecca - your online interview was great! It was so enjoyable to hear you talk about your entry and to see the videos. The online pictures and photo in the most recent catalog didn't even begin to showcase how incredible your creation was! Congratulations! You are a true artist! 

Thank you Cynthia!!  I would never have thought of myself as an artist however I am beginning to now.  I really love the challenge and I'm really excited about my next project!  Darren thankfully is so easy to talk to and really puts you at ease.  It was still a bit freaky though! :D

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Absolutely the best interview, and also the best video. I kept wishing somebody had told the other two that to make a moving picture does not mean waving the camera around. I loved the interior details as well as the fantastic landscaping.

Aw....thank you so much Kathie!  I think that's one of the hardest parts of the whole competition - taking only 4 photos that show enough of the details to be judged.  It was wonderful having the opportunity to video it in order to show those tiny details.  The whole video is on the HBS instagram account as are others, like the first place winner, a houseboat.  That was also really interesting to watch because you don't see all the details otherwise!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Shareb said:

The whole video is on the HBS instagram account

Can someone who does not have an Instagram account view it?

8 hours ago, KathieB said:

Can someone who does not have an Instagram account view it?

I'm not sure about that.  I know I can see Twitter shared things even though I don't have Twitter, so....maybe?  I'll pop in a link here....

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLwuZkKjhO6/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1

I don't have an Instagram account, and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! :D  I LOVE your attention to detail, especially how real your landscaping looks!  The skeletal remains are a nice touch.  I'd love to know how you made the trees.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I don't have an Instagram account, and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour! :D  I LOVE your attention to detail, especially how real your landscaping looks!  The skeletal remains are a nice touch.  I'd love to know how you made the trees.

Oh yay you watched it!!  Thank you!  First time I've done landscaping - it was daunting to begin with.  The trees.....They're wire twisted together and padded out with tinfoil.  I then covered it all with a wood coloured pre-mixed polyfilla.  Painted once dry.  The leaves.....that was the fun bit.  I bought this cheap horrible round 'ivy' mat or stepping stone type thingee.  I cut all the leaves off - what I could save.  Turned out most were covered in a  horrible hot melt type glue.  Then the extremely tedious part of gluing each leaf.  The other tree I used plastic leaves each of which I had to cut smaller and then glued.  I basically decided that it's not a real land as dragons exist so the trees didn't have to be identifiable as any particular type of tree.  I had been looking forward to making them but ended up hating the process.

• Like 1

Well they look MUCH better than the dowel-and-toothpicks wrapped with sisal cord I used for my farmhouse's pitiful tree!  And I find the Kiwi accent totally cool.

• Like 1