Pill capsules

fov

I just picked up a 90-day supply of probiotics for my dog that cost $1 per pill. :eek: They're capsules but the vet said I can open them and sprinkle the powder directly on her food. It's a good thing, because there's no way I'd get this capsule down her throat!

I feel like I should get something more for my money and thought the capsules could make good mini shampoo bottles. They're white, one end is about 5/8" long and the other end is about 3/8" long. The problem is, when I rinsed them out to make sure all the powder was out of the inside, they got soft and lost their shape. It makes sense since they're supposed to break down in the body, I just didn't think about it.

Has anyone used these for minis before? What could I do to prevent the capsules from breaking down? I'm not too worried about powder residue on the inside, but I want to protect them. I thought about coating in glue or varnish but water-based products might have the same effect as water. (Not sure yet, I can't experiment until after she gets her next dose tomorrow...)

• Like 2

I saw a tutorial somewhere that used the capsules for shampoo and boudoir bottles. They were filled with resin and let cure. But you can’t rinse them. They are made of gelatin. You might be able to clear them with a Qtip. 

Why not fill the capsule with sand and use the playdoh to make a mold, and cast your bottles in resin or something that won't turn gummy or melt when the humidity is high (says she who grew up in FL and other damp environments).

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Why not fill the capsule with sand and use the playdoh to make a mold, and cast your bottles in resin or something that won't turn gummy or melt when the humidity is high (says she who grew up in FL and other damp environments).

Because I'm going to have 178 of these things and want to put them to good use. :)

Debora, thanks for the link to the tutorial! My searches weren't finding anything useful. The capsules I have are white so I won't be able to make colored bottles out of them, but wax should still work. I wonder if painting the outside with nail polish would help keep the glycerin from melting?

Possibly. I've just gotten some supplies of UV resin for some effects I want to try. In the next day or so I'll try that on a capsule and see what the result is and let you know. As Holly is pointing out, if they are in a humid environment, the gelatin will degrade. Polish, or resin might be sufficient to seal it, but if it’s not sealed, moisture will be the enemy.

My dog just started an elimination diet due to IBD, so no peanut butter for her! Luckily she's fine eating the probiotic if I sprinkle it on her food. She's also taking another medication that comes in a capsule (also for the IBD) but it has a bitter flavor so the vet doesn't recommend sprinkling it. For that one I got creative -- I ground up her prescription kibble, added water, and then rolled the "dough" into little meatballs and baked them so they're a little crispy on the outside but still soft inside. So far I've been able to hide the capsule in one of those and she eats it without noticing. We also have some wet food on order that we should be able to hide pills in.

Sorry, off-topic, but I'm very proud of my homemade pill pockets!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, fov said:

My dog just started an elimination diet due to IBD, so no peanut butter for her! Luckily she's fine eating the probiotic if I sprinkle it on her food. She's also taking another medication that comes in a capsule (also for the IBD) but it has a bitter flavor so the vet doesn't recommend sprinkling it. For that one I got creative -- I ground up her prescription kibble, added water, and then rolled the "dough" into little meatballs and baked them so they're a little crispy on the outside but still soft inside. So far I've been able to hide the capsule in one of those and she eats it without noticing. We also have some wet food on order that we should be able to hide pills in.

I’m impressed! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fov said:

I ground up her prescription kibble, added water, and then rolled the "dough" into little meatballs and baked them so they're a little crispy on the outside but still soft inside. So far I've been able to hide the capsule in one of those and she eats it without noticing. 

So glad you shared! Thank you. All my furkids are seniors and on some kind of med or supplement. This will be so helpful. 

Edited by FurMama
punctuation
  • Like 1

I’ve purchased floral foam rectangles from Dollar Tree, used a dowel the same width as the pill capsules to make impressions and used this to hold the pill capsule halves for filling.  I fill them with epoxy that I carefully add with a toothpick so it doesn’t spill over the sides and let harden over night.

Once the epoxy cures you can remove and add a bead cap.  The gelatin will no longer dissolve.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @Test, that's a good tip about the floral foam. I have some casting resin from Michael's that I'll try it with.

On 3/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, havanaholly said:

Any reason you can't poke ALL of her capsules in the little pockets?

The probiotic capsules are too big to serve that way, but luckily she seems fine with eating the powder sprinkled on her food.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, Test said:

The gelatin will no longer dissolve.

Does filling with the epoxy also preserve the outside then? I'd still be worried the moisture in the environment would slowly dissolve the outside (over months/years rather than days)

On 3/22/2021 at 11:08 PM, Test said:

Once the epoxy cures you can remove and add a bead cap.  The gelatin will no longer dissolve.

1 hour ago, Muriel said:

Does filling with the epoxy also preserve the outside then? I'd still be worried the moisture in the environment would slowly dissolve the outside (over months/years rather than days)

Once the epoxy hardens, could you soak in water to dissolve the capsule itself? Then no issue with decomposing later on.