Fairfield front area build order

astoppani

On the front part of the Fairfield, I need to install the lights by the front door so that I can hide the wires behind the wall paper (I'm running them down the tower through holes in the floor rather than trying to run my tape to them), but do I need to wait and install the siding first before the lights go in?  So build the whole thing, then siding, including paint, then exterior lights, then interior wallpaper in the tower?  So essentially I'll be wallpapering that section last? 

I think the other sections can all be wall-papered before I put the siding and roof on, or will I end up hating myself when the glue from the roof runs down the wallpaper?  

Thanks!  Andrea 

You could leave some extra wire on the outside of the house and the lamp so the the light dangles. Then, when you are ready to do the siding, you could cut a slit into the siding and thread it through the slit then patch the slit......

I usually do the exterior first.....

I attached my porch lights just to the siding, taping the wires down the back and then through holes in the floor.  I bought the wide siding pieces (3.5" x 24") which made it easy.

Doing it that way, I was able to wallpaper the entry without having to worry about holes and wires inside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Call Me Crazy said:

I attached my porch lights just to the siding, taping the wires down the back and then through holes in the floor.  

Oh that is a great idea!  That should work!  Thank you!  

• Like 1

@Call Me Crazythat's so clever! Never would have occurred to me to attach the light to the siding first, and then attach the siding to the house. I'll keep that trick in mind.

@astoppaniI saw your post in another thread about removing the tower floor so a light shines down into the hallway from the tower. Is this still your plan? If so, consider using a 1:12 scale battery operated light -- this way you won't have to worry about wires running down from the tower. Because the light will be inside the tower it won't matter if it's out of scale, and it will be easy to turn on and off by removing the tower roof. I did this in my Victorianna: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12188 (scoll down to the end of the post)

This is the light I used: https://www.miniland.ca/Black-Lantern-hanging-lamp-LED-Super-bright-with-Onoff-switch-112-scale_p_71.html

• Like 2

Thanks, Emily! This just solved the problem of a light in the tower of my Beacon Hill.  Running tape/wire was way too complicated for my simple brain! :D 

1 hour ago, fov said:

@astoppaniI saw your post in another thread about removing the tower floor so a light shines down into the hallway from the tower. Is this still your plan? If so, consider using a 1:12 scale battery operated light -- this way you won't have to worry about wires running down from the tower. Because the light will be inside the tower it won't matter if it's out of scale, and it will be easy to turn on and off by removing the tower roof. I did this in my Victorianna: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12188 (scoll down to the end of the post)

This is the light I used: https://www.miniland.ca/Black-Lantern-hanging-lamp-LED-Super-bright-with-Onoff-switch-112-scale_p_71.html

That's a great idea for the tower light!  I'm considering putting the house lights on a timer (I have a Lego Disney castle and Hogwarts castle that are both on timers so they randomly come on for a few minutes, and it brightens my day (literally!) every so often).  That might thwart this plan, but I'll give it some more thought.  Since the light will be attached to the tower roof, the roof would need to be attached.  Actually as I type this it occurred to me, I can attache the tower light to a beam that sits under the tower roof, and leave the roof and beam loose, and that way I could get to the light if needed!  And I could run its wire down the outside under the siding too, alongside the wiring for the outdoor lights.  The only glitch there might be it'd be killer to have to fix a short under the siding.  So many interesting things to consider!  

1 hour ago, astoppani said:

I can attache the tower light to a beam that sits under the tower roof, and leave the roof and beam loose, and that way I could get to the light if needed! 

That was my thought, too :) 

And I could run its wire down the outside under the siding too, alongside the wiring for the outdoor lights. 

?? What wire? Battery operated doesn't need a wire.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

?? What wire? Battery operated doesn't need a wire.

Oh, up higher I mentioned I am hoping to have it all on one power source so that I can put it on a timer that turns the entire house on and off randomly.   I don't think I can do that with a battery operated light.