Orchid

Hi there,

So I'm new to the site and new to building dollhouses.  I picked up the Orchid and was really loving it up until the bay window. :/ I'm stuck on test fitting the exterior and interior bases together (7 on instruction sheet). I guess I don't understand how to glue them together (feel so dumb) and the illustration is confusing to me. On the small casings, I have a space on one side and then on the large casing, I have a small lip on either side. Am I supposed to glue them like that and then together as one unit? Any help would be so appreciated! I'm brand spanking new to this and I'm terrified to glue this bay window together. 

• Like 1

Andraste, I have built two Orchids, one of them plastic.  The narrower frames go on the inside, the wider ones outside.  You will want to sand and dry fit them together without gluing to prime & paint or stain them, so you will have the surfaces you will glue (with a good carpenter's wood glue, NOT hot glue) bare wood.  You can also do the top & bottom of the bay the same way.  I glued the acetate transparencies to the bare side of the interior frames first using clear-drying all-purpose white glue (NOT "school glue").  Then I assembled the exterior frames with the bay top & bottom, and last I glued the interior frames into place.  On the wood version I took bamboo skewers and cut them to fit and glued them into the "V" of the window sections and smoothed a dab of spackle over to fill any remaining seams, and when it was thoroughly dry I sanded it all smooth and painted the corners to match the rest of the frame before gluing the interior frames so as not to get paint on the acetate window inserts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andraste Isolde said:

I wonder if I can assemble the bay window together before actually putting together the house. 

I would not. You are going to want to dry-fit the pieces to the opening before gluing.

• Like 1