Hello Everyone!

Monica H

Good Evening!
My name is Monica H and I am pretty new to miniatures and would like some advice if I could.  I have partially built one house years ago but when I moved, I had to trash it.  I enjoyed working on it and had fun especially since it relaxed me.   My ultimate goal is to have a "village" scene with several buildings and maybe even a railroad going through.  I have been looking at different houses on amazon and am so very confused because most of them are 1:24 scale and I personally think that is too small for me, but I am not sure since I have never seen a house that small in person. 

So, right now I am looking at 1:12 size since I want something a bit larger so that I can see and work with all the small parts.  I have been looking at different houses and I think I should start with a basic house that is fairly "easy" to build.  So, my questions are:  1.  Should I use a 1:12 scale?   2.  Am I going in the right direction?  & 3.  If I decide to add a model train in and around my village, does anyone know what size train?  I had an HO size, and if I remember correctly, that was really small.   

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Hi Monica and welcome :wave:

Here is a comparison of 1/12th to 1/24th..to 1/48..Your gonna need a huge train for 1/12 scale. You might want to try 1/48th scale for the village.  1/48 still has a

lot of detail, and kits are readily available. This picture doesn't quite do the difference in size justice. I don't know how HO scale compares. Here is an old thread to read over....

scalesa.jpg.ac2aae0bf1e7cf427ce6d908a7084a97.jpg

This is 1/12 to 1/24th

scale.jpg.85695701edd734da2f2f8307cfae7608.jpg

Edited by Mid-life madness

Welcome Monica! I have a few leftover pieces and parts of an uncle's old g scale train from the late 40's probably (milk cans, street lights)that hang around my 1:12 houses but they feel small for that scale and a bit large for 1:24. Not much help just an observation. Have fun with your village! 

Edited by FurMama
additional information

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your advice!  For the train I am going with the O scale which is bigger than HO and smaller than the G.  O scale is approximately 1:48 or so.  I have seen accessories for the O scale from 1:36 all the way to 1:50.  I will check out the links that you all have sent.  Thanks again!!

On 3/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, Monica H said:

Thank you all for your advice!  For the train I am going with the O scale which is bigger than HO and smaller than the G.  O scale is approximately 1:48 or so.  I have seen accessories for the O scale from 1:36 all the way to 1:50.  I will check out the links that you all have sent.  Thanks again!!

On 3/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, Monica H said:

Always I said one day I was going to leave you I just ain't ready yet definitely trapped in my miniature world