Janine

Hi Janine,

Several of us here have built the Fairfield and can help you. 

Step one is to take the advice of the warm up sheet: "Don't panic".

Have you reviewed the schematics, going through each sheet of wood pieces, making sure everything is there?  Did you write on each of the pieces (in pencil) what each part is?

Read through the instructions several times.  Yes, they can be confusing, but take your time.

Sometimes tabs and slots don't line up properly, but a little bit of cutting and/or sanding will take care of that.  Gentle persuasion too.

Make sure you have the pieces facing the right way and try to fit the house together holding the walls in place only with masking tape. 

• Like 1

Just now, Janine le Grange said:

Thanks for your reply ! My husband is a jet pilot and he had read the instructions a number of times and we are stuck ! Can someone build this for us ? 

It's not impossible to find a dollhouse store or craft store with someone who will build for you.  I have no idea how much $$ they would charge.  But half the fun of this hobby is making it yourself.

How far did you get?  Where are you stuck?

I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, to be halves of a single house.  After dry fitting three times and disassembling the right side out one twice I finally got the floors to fit over the chimney, only to have to do the same multiple dry fits and disassembling with the inside out one.  If you can, have your builder leave the windows off of the house until you get it decorated inside & out; it's only 1:24 scale, so priming/ painting the walls without ruining the windows will be even more of a challenge than with a 1:12 scale house.

Hi Janine, I messages you instructions for the chimney that (hopefully) will be easier to understand.  Sorry I don't have photos to go along with it.

I know the names of the pieces get confusing along with all the rights and lefts.  Label everything and use the schematic drawings as a reference.

Keep in mind that the wood has a nicer finished side, which is meant to face outward.  The rougher side is on the inside of the house.  The same goes for the chimney - the nicer sides face out.  The right side/left side of a piece is often determined by how it is pictured on the schematic or its position on the house as a whole.  Most of the piece that are meant to be vertical will be shown on the schematic the correct way up (the staircase wall is an exception to this).

Let us know how things go! :cucumber:

Edited by Call Me Crazy

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie also, working on the Fairfield also, and have to admit I came to this forum for help with the fireplace. AND (dum da dum!!) I finally got it! What seemed to help the most was the wonderful encouragement, and the actual pictures on various blogs. Many people told me they constructed and then destructed the fireplace twice, and the third time it finally made sense. This is absolutely the truth!!

So now, on to the staircase. I daresay I will have problems there also, but know now when I get frustrated to stop, and go assemble some of the furniture kits I got to furnish the house when I am finally able to decorate. Yesterday I turned a refrigerator from the kitchen kit into an icebox. Doesn't look too bad, I must say.  My everlasting gratitude to you all for your moral support (and suggestions/pictures).

• Like 1