"The Least-Relaxing Pandemic De-Stresser"

fov

I'm conflicted about this article. Great to see minis covered in the Wall Street Journal, but why so negative? It's like they cherry picked the quotes that made miniatures sound like the worst hobby ever.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-least-relaxing-pandemic-de-stresser-tiny-diy-doll-houses-11613928009

• Like 1

I didn't read the entire article because I am not subscribed but, those little kits are not for the beginner.....IMO

Even seasoned miniaturists struggle with them. If you are subscriber, make sure you leave a comment.

P.S....I have noticed that they aren't in my Hobby Lobby any longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

I didn't read the entire article because I am not subscribed but, those little kits are not for the beginner.....IMO

Even seasoned miniaturists struggle with them. If you are subscriber, make sure you leave a comment.

P.S....I have noticed that they aren't in my Hobby Lobby any longer.

Oh sorry about that, I thought the link would work.

I found that if you Google the URL (https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-least-relaxing-pandemic-de-stresser-tiny-diy-doll-houses-11613928009) it will take you to the full article without the paywall. Just copy/paste the url from here and into Google's search bar, and the article will be the first result.

I had to laugh about this:

Ms. Smith, a Brooklyn-based human-resources consultant, battled with glue—ordering three types off the internet to complete her project—and both cemented her fingers together and also got glue on her face on more than one occasion.

“I have really learned about the dangers of glue through this process,” she said.

This happened to me today - I got glue on my forehead working on my remodel. It comes off, so I don't know how "dangerous" it is? And I think every time I've worked on my house I've glued my fingers together but thankfully I figured out fast that the nail-polish remover wipes I use for my pedicures take it off pretty quick!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, ellamay77 said:

I had to laugh about this:

This happened to me today - I got glue on my forehead working on my remodel. It comes off, so I don't know how "dangerous" it is? And I think every time I've worked on my house I've glued my fingers together but thankfully I figured out fast that the nail-polish remover wipes I use for my pedicures take it off pretty quick!

OMG. I spent quite a while one day using nail polish remover getting Zap A Gap off my fingers which, thankfully, were not glued together but it felt like I had callouses on my fingers from playing guitar or something! The glue came off eventually but it kind of freaked me out. I had been wearing gloves but the glove fingers started sticking together, which tempted me to take them off. Don't do that. Use a tweezer instead. I am planning to get a glue syringe soon - just too many things to buy. I did not plan to buy things - I was going to "just use what I had around the house." Ha! I think many people here can relate to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Zap A Gap when I assemble my porcelain dolls.....with the Zip kicker added to it, I have come to believe it is form of torture. (picture those Chinese finger torture things) The bottle of kicker doesn't spray, but kinda spits. I have glued my fingers to the bottle of kicker a few times.....

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a squeeze bottle of glue yesterday, tuned it over squeezed a little and the glue shot out from a split in the side. Fortunatley most of it landed on my small workable, but oh boy it seemedto flow like milk when allowed to escape.

12 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I picked up a squeeze bottle of glue yesterday, tuned it over squeezed a little and the glue shot out from a split in the side. Fortunatley most of it landed on my small workable, but oh boy it seemedto flow like milk when allowed to escape.

I have had that happen.