New Member with silly question

Ali Ru

I have probably one of the silliest questions ever asked on this forum.  I am a new member who hasn't built a dollhouse in about 25 years.  My original house kit of 25 years ago didn't have slots and tabs.  I just bought the Beacon Hill kit and I realized the instructions never mention how to glue the pieces together.  Do you put glue on just the tabs and slots or are they just for lining pieces up and you should over the whole edge of the piece you are placing?  I know this is something I should know but  I can find answer nowhere....PLEASE help!

• Like 1

Hi, Ali,

When you dry fit the house, you will see where the pieces have contact, and that is where I put the glue - not just on the tabs, but wherever there is contact. It can help to mark the areas with a pencil so when you take it out of dry fit you know where the pieces will meet when you eventually put them together again.

The tabs and slots help you line things up - but BE SURE to dry fit the house together using tape to help you understand how the walls and floors fit together.  Take your time and mark pieces left or right or up or down as you need to.   Sometimes the tabs and slot opening need to be slightly adjusted to get everything together.  Glue goes on the whole edge of piece.  Good luck - you'll have fun.

Welcome to the little family Alice, and learn this one thing:  There is no such thing as a silly/ dumb question if you don't know the answer, and assembling a tab & slot kit is NOT something you "just know".  Invest in a good carpenters' wood glue (I'm partial to Titebond) and masking or blue painters' tape.  Do the dry fit.  I use a utility knife with retractable blades and LOTS of new, sharp blades for shaving tabs or slots for a more perfect fit, or el cheapo emery boards for sanding tight corners (wrapping a scrap of sandpaper around an odd knitting needle does for the curly bits of "gingerbread" trim).  I spend an inordinate amount of time in prep work and once in a while (or oftener) I still have to take things apart and do over.  Once it occurred to me that this was better than waiting until I had royally ruined things, I have found it oddly relaxing.  Sooner or later the house will begin to talk to you and tell you what it wants.

• Like 1

Glad to hear this!  I thought it was only me.  First time builder here.  I have a question--someone in one of the many miniature facebook groups I joined mentioned that Greenleaf makes laser cut dollhouses too!!!  Is that accurate?  I'm browsing the site and see no mention of them or that process of cutting them out!

Yes it is true and there used to be a link on the GL website for the laser cut kits. They may be out of stock if you are not seeing any.  I haven't looked lately because I might buy something if I did and I absolutely have no more room for even a scrap of wallpaper lol!

Edited by FurMama
Corrections