Anyone know this house? It's over 30 years old

KatFord

large.864859752_FullExterior.jpg.af5256ed4c13e86c0a3e781fb7241de8.jpg

My parents gave me this house 30 years ago. My dad helped me build the shell, but I have't a clue who the maker or is or the name of the house. I'm in the process of removing the siding and changing the entire feel fo this to an OLD French Chateau. 

So, two questions:

Do you know this house? 

Any suggestions on removing that last little bit of siding? I've tired chisel, sanding, acetone... nothing seems to work. 

Thanks! 

Kim 

Edited by KatFord
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

That's it! Thanks. I had no idea they had an addition. I'll have to search around and see if I can find one. 

Kim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

Heat loosens glue.  Use a heat gun if you have one.  An embossing gun also works.  I keep one close by my work area, they come in handy all the time.

I've tried a heat gun. Didn't do anything but burn the wood. I must have glued the heck out of that wood, it's the only piece I haven't been able to remove. Thanks

Kim

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would try laying a cloth dampened with a white vinegar & water solution over it over night and use a steel putty knife & hammer to slice it off.

I haven't tried this yet. I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens. 

Thanks! 

Kim

Edited by KatFord

36 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

If Holly's recommendation doesn't work if you have a orbital sander maybe, you can just sand it off using heavy duty sandpaper.  Looks like the outside of the house needs a sanding anyway to smooth it out after removing the siding.

I'll see if my husband has one of those. I have a little mouse sander and it didn't touch it. I haven't sanded the doors yet. I'm putting stucco on the exterior. 

Kim

4 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

That's pretty close but reading the description that one comes with the trim along the roof and both side pieces. Mine doesn't have either of those. 

Kim

22 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You can't just stucco over the siding?

I thought of that, but the panel is too thick where the green parts are. The other parts should be fine, but I got to get the thicker parts off. 

Kim 

If dampening and gently hammering the steel putty knife under the siding doesn't work, sanding with a power sander and coarse sandpaper,like Colleen suggested.  It really depends on what kind of glue you used originally.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, KatFord said:

I've tried a heat gun. Didn't do anything but burn the wood. I must have glued the heck out of that wood, it's the only piece I haven't been able to remove. Thanks

Kim

I use an old hair dryer to remove glue.  It takes a bit longer to soften the glue, but there's less risk of it doing damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Okay, I just asked my husband (he does cabinetry) He recommended using a hot steam iron on the back and then the front to see if it would even loosen. That way you can tell if it is a water based glue.

That’s something I haven’t thought of. I have a steam cleaner I can use! I’ll let you know if it works. 
Kim

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Take it outside and drizzle Xylene between the seams. Using a metal putty knife it will peel right off. Just wet with the Xylene and peel.  I promise. 

I’m not familiar with Xylene... what is that? Thanks! 
Kim

On 2/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, Sable said:

Take it outside and drizzle Xylene between the seams. Using a metal putty knife it will peel right off. Just wet with the Xylene and peel.  I promise. 

I'm picking this stuff up today. It's -20 with a windchill of -31 so I doubt I'll go outside, but we do have a 3 season room that is cold, but not windy. I'll try it out there. 

Thanks for the suggestion! 

Kim