metric measurements question

amyole

I have bought a couple of furniture making books by Julie Warren and watched some of her videos on youtube. Her measurements are in metric, with US measurement conversions. The problem with the US measurements is that they are 2 59/64 inches. There is no way I will be measuring 59/64 of an inch! I think I would be better off just using the metric measurements. Has anyone found a noticeable difference doing this (when everything else is based on inches)?

I would use the metric side.  A few millimeters difference probably won't make a difference. I don't think I could even find that fraction on a ruler, I think they are only marked to the 1/32.

I love her books and Youtube videos.

I live in NZ and only use metrics!  I can't get my head around all the fractions in imperial!!  I was glad to find a resource in metric because the majority aren't.  I have a conversion chart on the wall in my studio and a calculator handy if need be.

I like Julie Warren. When I started trying to build doll furniture I used imperial and converted everything. Then doing Julie Warrens stuff I started using metric and converted everything. Now I am in the units is units camp. I use whichever seems to be the most sensible for that project (whatever units are used by the author, usually). However I do stay with the same units for that entire project. I got several metal rulers with both imperial and metric markings. I will say that I find them to be extremely helpful but the calculations are not hard and I find my own accuracy is more of a limiting factor.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 7:22 PM, amyole said:

I have bought a couple of furniture making books by Julie Warren and watched some of her videos on youtube. Her measurements are in metric, with US measurement conversions. The problem with the US measurements is that they are 2 59/64 inches. There is no way I will be measuring 59/64 of an inch! I think I would be better off just using the metric measurements. Has anyone found a noticeable difference doing this (when everything else is based on inches)?

Good question! It's because of Julie's tutorials that I've started trying to use the metric measurements. I have the same issue... finding 59/64 of an inch is just going to happen. LOL