First Dollhouse Custom Build - Materials????

OhioDad

Hello, everyone!  I'm in the early stages of planning a dollhouse build for my daughter's 5th birthday.  She has some very specific requests, haha... so, I'm looking to build it custom.  I'm an experienced woodworker (dressers, tables, a canoe, etc...) - so I'm not concerned with the construction aspect of it.  I'm confident(-ish) in that.  My question though is... what material should I use?  I see most purchased doors/windows (which I plan to buy) say they "fit standard 3/8" walls" ---- so what material are they using at 3/8"?  Ply?  MDF?  Other?  

Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who can help a newbie out!  I'm excited to get started but would hate to jump-the-gun and end up with a house and no finishing materials to purchase!

Welcome to the forum! Either plywood or MDF would work. A lot of dollhouse kits are MDF but personally I think cabinet-grade plywood would be nicer and easier to work with.

Ryan, you are such a good guy to build this for your little princess!  Ibetcha that 3/8" plywood weighs a whole lot less than 3/8" MDF, besides being a whole lot easier to work with (I LOVE wood!).  The hubs and I used this book to build our eldest granddaughter her first dollhouse:  https://store.doverpublications.com/0486234932.html

Build Your Own Inexpensive Dollhouse

Thank you, fov & havanaholly!  Now, a follow-up... where do you find 3/8 or 11/32 MDF or plywood?  I’m having no luck... only the standard 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc.  Granted, I haven’t been out to the lumber yards or specialty shops - but online searches aren’t producing results.  I’m in Ohio (Columbus-area) - not some remote corner of a far-flung territory - so, I’d think it would exist here... but where?

Lowe's?  Home Depot?  I've found it those places.  Actually I've used those components with the Greenleaf kits (1/8" plywood) and shimmed the excess with scraps from the kit.

Edited by havanaholly

Where did you see 3/8" listed for the components? I'm looking at the Houseworks windows and they all say they fit a 1/2" depth. https://www.miniatures.com/Windows-C138.aspx

I wouldn't buy 1/8" plywood for a child's dollhouse, I think you want sturdier than that, but if for some reason you need to get something thinner than 1/2" you could do 1/4" plywood and shim the windows or the trim to make them fit. Adding siding to the front of the house would help bump out the windows, too.

Hi, fov... I noticed on another website that most of the windows mentioned it being 3/8”.  On the site you referenced, the doors all seem to be 3/8” - example: https://www.miniatures.com/Traditional-Door-P17509.aspx.  

I might be worried over nothing due to my lack of experience... but I appreciate everyone who’s willing to answer my elementary questions!

Hmm, it might be because with windows they give a little extra clearance to accommodate siding, but doors could go on interior walls as well as exterior walls, so they don't make them quite as deep? I mostly do half scale so I'm not as familiar with the standards for 1:12 scale.

I just measured one of my 1:12 dollhouses and the walls are 3/8". I'd go with that if you can find it, but if you can't you'll be able to make 1/2" work.

Baltic Birch comes in 3/8inch. It might be a special order thing at Lowe's etc. You can ask at the pro desk. This is cabinet grade plywood that most of the premium dollhouses are made of.

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/plywood/38-baltic-birch-plywood-pack-choose-your-size.html

Edited by Mid-life madness
  • Like 1

I had to buy 3/8" Baltic Birch to replace a missing roof on my American Craft Products Queen Anne that will be coming  up for rehab when we relocate and I had to go to a lumber store.  it was not expensive at all...I paid about $11 for a half sheet and they graciously cut it down to make it more manageable.  Took just a few minutes to cut it to what I needed and now it has a roof!  It's the prettiest smoothest piece of wood I've ever seen lol.