Marquam and San Franciscan availability?

AmandaJC

Any thoughts on how hard it is to come by a a Marquam Hill mansion or San Franciscan? And what general price ranges should be? I see a couple expensive San Franciscans on ebay, and shipping is killer. Just wondering if they come along regularly enough.

Thanks! 

46The San Fran is frequently on Ebay, the prices have really jumped. You  will find better prices locally. Search Offer-up, Craig's list, and Facebook marketplace.

I found the SF on Craigslist for $50 in another state and the seller was willing to ship. Don't be afraid to ask.

The Marquam comes up less frequently on Ebay. The price depends entirely on what someone is willing to pay etc. It never hurts to offer a lower price.

You just have to be patient....The are some areas in the US that tend have more desirable dollhouses....Get familiar with what surrounding areas tend have a lot of used dollhouses listed....Then stalk the listings regularly!!!

Also, Set up a search alert on Ebay. I have one set for Dura-Craft dollhouses and get emails pretty much everyday. 

Edited by Mid-life madness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluestocking said:

I have a hand-me-down SF550 still sealed in its box -- would you be interested?  I can't tell where you are -- I'm in Southern California.

Jeanne

Jeanne is quite generous and Ive seen some of her houses, which are quite beautiful and unique as she gifted me a Duracraft VM600 some time ago...so if you're local you should take her up on the offer.  Or if she's willing to ship I'd recommend taking her up.

As for the Marquam Hill, those are harder to come by.  I happen to have one that I snagged some years ago at a steal and consider myself rally fortunate to have had that happen.  The prices right around now are about $300 and up from what Ive seen - I was looking fora Duracraft San Franciscan 557(pdf model) and there were super pricey and right before Christmas I found listing for $99 and had it shipped to my daughter in Texas for $35.  It'll live there under her bed for a few more months.....so as Carrie and a few others mentioned, you have to be patient and search other places outside of ebay,.... and sometimes a member here will post houses they are willing to part with in Community Trading Post.

• Like 1

I got my San Franciscan 557 off Ebay at the beginning of December for... $99, $100 shipping which I was fine paying because dear GOD the box is incredibly heavy. If you're able to get it for lower shipping, then do it! Also keep an eye on Craigslist and once warmer weather (at least in my area) comes around and COVID calms down, keep an eye out for flea markets, garage sales, etc.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, supernat said:

I got my San Franciscan 557 off Ebay at the beginning of December for... $99, $100 shipping which I was fine paying because dear GOD the box is incredibly heavy. If you're able to get it for lower shipping, then do it! Also keep an eye on Craigslist and once warmer weather (at least in my area) comes around and COVID calms down, keep an eye out for flea markets, garage sales, etc.

I think you and I got it from the same person...he had multiples of the 557 and I agree, that box is HEAVY

17 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

That's the MDF version, and you're right about the weight.

those MDF versions are so so heavy...I also have the Alexandria and its crazy heavy too...I think they added lead to the wood hahahahaha

• 4 months later...

Is the San Franciscan mentioned in this topic the Walmer or the Dura Craft?

I recently bought a Walmer San Franciscan and I can't find any info about it. 

I'll need to take it apart to clean and finish the interior.  Also change the exterior colors and sand where this wasn't done prior to being assembled by the original purchaser.

I'd upload a pic or two but I'm a newbie and my pics are too large. 

And advice is appreciated!    

Edited by Stellas mom

I have the San Franciscan by Walmer.  

Sorry.  I didn't know which San Franciscan since it mentions both.

This is my very first miniature house rehab and also my very first anything miniature.

Edited by Stellas mom

Hmmm I’ve never heard of a San Franciscan by Walmer - maybe you can try to reside the pictures at RESIZER - it’s free online and will allow you to manipulate the picture to fit here - I’m truly curious to see it 

12 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I found a picture...it took me a minute to find one...is this the house? It is adorable!

12971452_sanfransican.jpg.d2e995e42ec548a066b8544f2951b033.jpg

After I made that comment I did the same thing lol - that’s the one I found too! It IS adorable! And looks to be spacious too! 

There is currently a Dura-Craft Marquam Hill Mansion on Ebay for sale for $260.00, bear in mind the box weighs around 80 pounds. The seller is quoting a Standard Shipping Fee of $99.95.  

Link is here!

Like everyone is saying you have to keep looking around on craigslist.com OfferUp, FB Marketplace, Etsy et al. Patience is key for kits that were made from companies that are no longer in business.  I have been looking for an ArtPly Barrington Kit and have yet to run into one lately.  Its like most things in life, when one least expects it the kit appears.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:50 AM, Cati said:

There is currently a Dura-Craft Marquam Hill Mansion on Ebay for sale for $260.00, bear in mind the box weighs around 80 pounds. The seller is quoting a Standard Shipping Fee of $99.95.  

Link is here!

Like everyone is saying you have to keep looking around on craigslist.com OfferUp, FB Marketplace, Etsy et al. Patience is key for kits that were made from companies that are no longer in business.  I have been looking for an ArtPly Barrington Kit and have yet to run into one lately.  Its like most things in life, when one least expects it the kit appears.

I wouldn't mind having a Barrington either.

I've had that eBay listing in my watch list for a while - I don't want to pay that for an opened box kit, plus the box itself is in crappy shape and I keep all my kit boxes while I'm building to store the sheets, etc. in them.

I know some sellers (not in the hobby) want to open the boxes and display the contents, but I really wish they wouldn't LOL.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 5:32 PM, Island-Shack said:

...I know some sellers (not in the hobby) want to open the boxes and display the contents, but I really wish they wouldn't LOL.

I think the reason they do that is that sometimes even in an unopened box there might be one or more missing or damaged pieces or the kit was built and the box contains the punched out sheets that the seller resealed the box. The downside, though, is that sometimes parts go missing as the box is being resealed for shipping.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Someone must have alerted the seller, because the shipping price has now been lowered to a somewhat more reasonable range. The house is basically an assembled shell, so that would affect the shipping costs, too. The PO uses something called “dimensional weight” to calculate shipping now.