How many houses?

AmandaJC

I'm new to this hobby and finding myself completely obsessed with surfing online for houses and falling in love with many I find! How many is too many houses?! 

I guess it's good that I'm homebound during covid and can't run all over my state going to garage sales. But I can't wait to do that too.

How many do you all have?

17 minutes ago, AmandaJC said:

...How many is too many houses?!... many do you all have?

When you have run out of room to turn around?  I have kits still in their boxes and houses to rehab.  In the house I have four in the garage, two in the living room and three in our bedroom (two of them are actually halves of one house),

• Like 1

Hhmmm.....I have 3 1950s English Metal 1:24 houses that were a recent purchase - although I prefer to say 'saved'. :D Then I have 2 Greenleaf's - one current and one sitting waiting to be finished.  Then 4 others complete.  9? Okay.....plus a kit on the way.....and a few 1:24 little kits.  Yes - it is rather an addiction!

• Like 1

I have 33 finished houses:

4 - 1" scale houses

1 - 1/18" scale (Lundby)

5 - 1/2" scale houses

2- 1/4" scale (Japanese and Coraline)

21 - 1/144" scale houses

Then, I have 2 unfinished houses, one 1" scale and the other 1/2" scale (working on them)

and lastly, I have 71 kits (this large # includes 57  kits in 1/144 scale: the Northeastern and the Laser Tech collections)

My problem is that to be able to keep building new houses, I would need to sell some of this finished houses due to lack of room for all of them, and I don't want to do that. I am not ready to part with my leftover houses yet. I have to say that I had to sell many of the houses that I finished, and many of the kits that I have been lucky to buy with the intention to build, because I figured that there is no way I will be able to do it all. I have mastered the art of stop my buying impulses, specially the larger scales items. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FurMama said:

After you run out of fingers to count them on the rest don't get counted. Like calories on holiday food that doesn't count either. :clap:

My family seems to think they KNOW how many kits I have.......Buwahahah. But do they really know?

• Haha 5

I have one 1:10 house finished, the scale was a rookie mistake (from scratch) and one scratch build 1:12, currently working one the third.

I think the dollhouses for sale are way too expensive for me, especially when you have to import them to the Netherlands and because the saw, sandpaper and tape measure are my best friends. (at least I tell myself they are, infact I make too many mistakes measuring ;-)
I continue to make them by myself.

• Like 1

I have 3 finished in the house, 2 in the workroom, 3 purchased half built to rehab in closets, and I have no idea how many are under the beds in the spare room, but I have noticed they are peeking out from under the bed skirt trying to escape due to overcrowding....LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have a finished Arthur, an in progress Willowcrest, a 1926 Triang built in Scotland that I just got in the fall after trading a much larger one that I won years ago in a raffle at Walmart that I didn't do a single thing to(didn't really realize I COULD, as it was before internet!), I have a couple of tin houses in storage, a cardboard vintage Christmas village, and ceramic Christmas village in small scale that has an extreme amount of accessories, not many houses...and I have the beginning processes started for a scratch build of a four story tea room. I also have a McKinley still in the box, a gift from many years ago that has lived under various beds.

Edited by harmonbooks
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

My family seems to think they KNOW how many kits I have.......Buwahahah. But do they really know?

This!  

I have 12 houses and or kits waiting on me or in progress.  And now I have started small room boxes and/or vignettes.  Soooooo, somewhere in the area of 22 give or take.  And all this after I sold off about 12 other kits I knew I would never get to!  Whew!  What and addiction! 

Welcome Amanda!  We are a group of Enablers! :clap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

Whew!  What and addiction! 

I think you know it is an addiction when you keep the hoard a secret for fear of judgement by family.....My shame is stored in an unlocked storage room adjacent to a guest house that is empty.....They can look anytime they want, but they better not touch!!!!!:gun2:

My husband has a bit of a collection of old cars and boats, he can't really say anything. None of my houses are allowed out in his huge garage...whatever!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

@AmandaJCI have one that is my constant driving companion....its been in my trunk for a while.

I drove around for 6 - 8 months with the craigslist assembled Grandville purchase covered with a blanket to keep it a bit hidden.  I finally brought it in when someone was not home and took it to the attic (walk up, semi climate controlled).  "Oh that?  I have it a long time now . . . ".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

I drove around for 6 - 8 months with the craigslist assembled Grandville purchase covered with a blanket to keep it a bit hidden.  I finally brought it in when someone was not home and took it to the attic (walk up, semi climate controlled).  "Oh that?  I have it a long time now . . . ".

well technically you did have it for some time prior to it being loaded into the walk up lol..... the things we do for our houses lol

• Like 1

Altogether I have all the ones listed in my signature below (plus I was just given a Tennyson in an unopened box) Plus 3 room boxes and a shelving unit that was converted to 6 room boxes.

Currently I have 6 built 1:12 scales lined up next to each other on tables, so I'm looking into large shelving units or individual shelves, so that I can start displaying them horizontal as well as vertical and make use of my wall space.

I keep buying kits though because #1 it's fun #2 some of these manufacturers are out of biz (or houses discontinued) and the kits will get harder and harder to find as time goes by and #3 I'm only in my 50's and I figure I'm setting myself up for a lifetime of building, I can do it until I die LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Island-Shack said:

I figure I'm setting myself up for a lifetime of building, I can do it until I die LOL.

Some of my friends and I have vowed that if ever we have to go into "the home", we won't set foot through the door unless it has a fully equipped workroom for our use. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2