Brands ratings?

AmandaJC

Hi all, 

I realize this is a Greenleaf-operated forum, but as a newbie dollhouser trying to learn, I'm wondering how you'd all rank the quality of the various brands? I am learning the names, but how do they compare in quality, longevity, materials, fun to build, etc? In general.

Curiously,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

When you are comparing apples to apples....I think it is a matter of taste.

With all dollhouses, the end result depends on how much care and time you are willing to spend on the house assembly. There are pros and cons to each type.

There are tab and slot dollhouses made of Luanne plywood.... Light weight

Doll houses made of MDF.... very heavy

Dollhouses made of birch plywood....not as heavy as MDF.

I enjoy tab and slot dollhouses....I like to build, sand and paint. They require more prep work up front, but I think they have the best charm and architecture of the three I have mentioned. An added bonus is that the price is affordable. A con for some people is the assembly and construction can be time consuming.

The Mdf houses assemble quickly and require little prep. The larger models can be very cumbersome due to their weight. They make good "play" houses for kids. To me, their designs are very limited. Their cost is mid-range.

Houses made of Birch ply are usually the most expensive and can be cost prohibitive. These are typically a miniature enthusiasts dream house. However, a ugly house is still an ugly house, no matter what it is made of.

In general, the longevity of a house depends on how it was constructed and maintained.......A tab and slot house would not fair well if left outside in the weather, nor would MDF......A birch plywood would the best.

That is my 2 cents......If it is a house that I like, I wouldn't pass it up no matter what it is made of.

Edited by Mid-life madness
  • Like 4

I'm partial to Greenleaf because they're a lot of fun to build, don't weigh a ton and look so good when they're finished.  I've had my Glencroft pub going on 16 years and the only issue I've had was the black construction paper I made into roof slates faded to brown and had to be painted.

• Like 1